Troy Bilt Pony 7HP Tiller won't start after carburetor rebuild and coil replacement

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
  • / Troy Bilt Pony 7HP Tiller won't start after carburetor rebuild and coil replacement
Yes, I did clean the bowl and retaining screw, and noticed the holes in the screw. So I am a little naive here but having holes means it probably has to align correctly.
Nope

svlawnmower

Threads
  • / Troy Bilt Pony 7HP Tiller won't start after carburetor rebuild and coil replacement
Ok, I'm an idiot... after I sent that reply I it dawned on me that is doesn't matter, it is submerged in fuel... duh!

Anyhow, after reviewing suggestions here, I'm not getting a spark any longer, so I think my spare coil is probably bad.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Ok, I'm an idiot... after I sent that reply I it dawned on me that is doesn't matter, it is submerged in fuel... duh!

Anyhow, after reviewing suggestions here, I'm not getting a spark any longer, so I think my spare coil is probably bad.
remove the kill wire from it and try to start.

svlawnmower

Threads
remove the kill wire from it and try to start.
Thanks Scrubcadet10, that did it!

I removed the kill wire. It didn't start right away. I sprayed some starter fluid in and then it started up and kept running. It surges a little in the "run" position and smoothly at about 1/4 choke, so I will have to learn where to adjust the mixture on it.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I don't believe the mixture is adjustable on this carb... carb needs a more thorough cleaning possibly.
also, now to find out why the kill wire is grounding.

svlawnmower

Threads
Yeah, I noticed there is just an idle adjustment. I will have to take the coil off and see why it is grounding out. The positive is that it is actually running better than last year and the year before. We're probably on the right track.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Follow the kill wire... It hooks to a plastic insulator under the gas tank on the control panel... It could have come off. And when you move the throttle all the way back the throttle lever makes contact with a metal tab on that insulator to kill the spark.
There could also be a spot in between where the insulation has failed on the wire.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
20210526-140913.jpg
20210526-140909.jpg

Joed756

Threads
Don't start redoing what you've already done. First thing you need to do is fix that pull cord or remove it and use a cordless driver. Now, I haven't seen any mention of compression... you can borrow a tester from an auto parts store, without enough compression the engine will not run, fuel will just blow out around the valves. I think you need to look beyond the carb now, if you still think it's a lack of fuel the plug should tell you, if so, replace the fuel lines and the filter in the fuel tank.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
If it kept running, he has good enough compression.