Toro 2023 Timecutter 75747 Hydrostatic Transmission maintenance necessary?

sam.marrocco

Threads
  • / Toro 2023 Timecutter 75747 Hydrostatic Transmission maintenance necessary?
This is my first season with a new Toro 2023 Timecutter 42" 75747 with the Kohler 7000 series engine. I'm reading some conflicting information of maintenance of the hydrostatic transmission....

Some documentation states
"This transaxle is factory filled, sealed and does
not require oil maintenance"

...yet one dealer tells me the hydrostatic fluid should be changed once per season.

I'm trying to do all maintenance myself on this machine and would like to make certain I take good care of it. Does the fluid/hydro need regular maintenance (if so, how often) or not? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

sam.marrocco

Threads

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So you want to start a fight between manufacturers, dealers, service techs, DIY guys and everyone else. Everyone in each of these groups has their own opinion. I’m not going to help you do that, but I will ask you this question. Who are you going to believe? Tried my best, but I should have said,”Yes dear, I’ll be in the garage”.

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
So you want to start a fight between manufacturers, dealers, service techs, DIY guys and everyone else. Everyone in each of these groups has their own opinion. I’m not going to help you do that, but I will ask you this question. Who are you going to believe? Tried my best, but I should have said,”Yes dear, I’ll be in the garage”.

I doubt he's looking to start a fight.

He's wanting to know what's the best thing to do in order to get long service life out of his mower

Since oil does not last forever, I'm betting the manufacturer would like to see the oil NOT be changed so the transmissions wears out quicker and they get to sell more mowers, parts, and service.

That's how these big companies roll you know!

shurguywutt

Threads
I have the 75734 with the same engine and the hydros are sealed. I asked the guy at the shop and he said there is no maintenance to do to them. He said he sees them easily get 100s of hours. I think you would have to take them off to change the oil. I did hear of people sucking the oil out through the fill hole and replacing it that way. Not really sure how much more life you would get by doing that. Who knows.

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
Uh huh... the oil last forever?

That's bogus and they are trying to sell new parts and new mowers!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I doubt he's looking to start a fight.

He's wanting to know what's the best thing to do in order to get long service life out of his mower

Since oil does not last forever, I'm betting the manufacturer would like to see the oil NOT be changed so the transmissions wears out quicker and they get to sell more mowers, parts, and service.

That's how these big companies roll you know!
That is exactly how the big companies roll. They built exactly what the consumer asked for. A mower that is going to get replaced every 4.5 years that is run 38 hours a year. And those are the national average statistics for riding mowers. So don't go blaming the big companies for doing what people want to to do. Built a mower as cheap as possible and if it breaks they are going to throw it away and buy a new one.

Where people are running into problems is they go buy a mower that is designed to last 5 years and then they try to make it last 20 years. If you want a 20 year mower then you need to buy a 20 year mower. but need to be willing to pay for it.

shurguywutt

Threads
Well post #8 seems to be the common response to your question on the forum. IMO you have a few options.

1. Buy a new 20 year mower.
  2. Let it ride until they die and you can replace them with better hydros that you can drain.
  3. Try draining the oil by siphoning it out and putting in fresh ~100 hrs. (This is my pick).
  4. Removing them and draining the oil and reinstalling the way the OEM states (I dont think anybody does this).
There is truth to "this is what the consumer created" but I can't entirely blame the consumer. Currency devaluation which is an invisible tax is a big factor. Even the OEM isn't immune to it.

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
don't go blaming the big companies for doing what people want to to do

Who are these people that asked for mowers that crap out after a few years???

Nobody in their right mind wants something designed to not last a long time.

What's obvio9usly going on here in all industries is all the big companies get together and have decided to design stuff to not last long on purpose so people will have to buy new ones sooner than they should have to.

There are words for this - greed and control