Tife chains

ford005

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great thread. I have a Cup Cadet Z-Force 54" deck Zero Turn that has terrible traction. My property is somewhat hilly, but not extremely so (central Kentucky). I thought about putting chains on it, but after reading this I thought perhaps there's a better way? Different tread, less air in the tires so they are not so stiff, etc.
Anybody have ideas?
Thanks, and this is a great forum.
I also have a Cub Cadet zero turn and found that I’d easily get stuck in a rut, slick spot or slight hill with thicker grass. I got a pair of extra wheels and mounted 20x10x8 SunF ATV tires. They have been great and have actually reduced burning up the grass as they grip instead of skid.

Attachments

• CBC0BC38-4054-42B1-BD61-33A0647D2D2C.jpeg
    CBC0BC38-4054-42B1-BD61-33A0647D2D2C.jpeg
    467.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 7D0336DC-4D49-48A1-BEC3-CB9B157B395E.jpeg
    7D0336DC-4D49-48A1-BEC3-CB9B157B395E.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 2

Gord Baker

Threads
Great thread. I have a Cup Cadet Z-Force 54" deck Zero Turn that has terrible traction. My property is somewhat hilly, but not extremely so (central Kentucky). I thought about putting chains on it, but after reading this I thought perhaps there's a better way? Different tread, less air in the tires so they are not so stiff, etc.
Anybody have ideas?
If you are mowing your hills sideways, chains will make your machine skid down hill. Lower air pressure and use as directed may help.

Gunn308

Threads
I had to run a diamond pattern chain on my wheeler for the same reason worked out better for plowin on icy driveway

13brian

Threads
Hey all,
Tire chains. How do you keep them on? 2006 cub cadet LT1040 Every time I plow some snow they "roll" over to one side of the tire or the other. Then back to the garage, jack up the back and move them to where they should be. It has happened since I first put them on. Tried crossed bungee cords and it helps a little. They are about as tight as I can get them and still be able to get them on.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Will
I had the same problem, this fixed my issue. https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Powe...fix=mower+tire+chain+tensioner,aps,206&sr=8-8

IMKCMAC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all,
Tire chains. How do you keep them on? 2006 cub cadet LT1040 Every time I plow some snow they "roll" over to one side of the tire or the other. Then back to the garage, jack up the back and move them to where they should be. It has happened since I first put them on. Tried crossed bungee cords and it helps a little. They are about as tight as I can get them and still be able to get them on.

Thanks,
Will
What I do on my Simplicty1920 and my MF 135 both is take the valve core out. Put the chains on. On the inside I usually just hook the first link and then try to get as tight as possible on the outside clasp. Then air tires up and they should be good and tight. I also use two crossed rubber bungee cords stretched tightly. I believe the key is to remove most of the air when installing the chains. I also try to get them centered side to side on the tires before airing up the tires. Hope this helps. Been there done that.

BigBand

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all,

Thanks,
Will
I deflate my tires, then put on the chains. When I inflate the tires again the chains are much tighter.

macadoo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Anybody have ideas?
hex head sheet metal screws in knoby tread may help. work great on ice!

sastark

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you are mowing your hills sideways, chains will make your machine skid down hill. Lower air pressure and use as directed may help.
Thanks for that. The slopes are pretty mild; most of the trouble is getting around the trees, and making the lap turns along the fencerow. It's funny, though; I've got a 2019 JD Z535M zero turn which we use for the same thing and it doesn't slide the way the Cub Cadet does. It has a smaller 48" deck though.

Gord Baker

Threads
Thanks for that. The slopes are pretty mild; most of the trouble is getting around the trees, and making the lap turns along the fencerow. It's funny, though; I've got a 2019 JD Z535M zero turn which we use for the same thing and it doesn't slide the way the Cub Cadet does. It has a smaller 48" deck though.
Perhaps a little 'slower' if other factors are the same!

Ohioguy

Threads
I have a similar problem. I have a Tank SZ with 24x12x12 tires. I ordered chains for 24x12x12 and when i received them, I deflated both tires put them on and they were about two crosschains short. I sent them back and called the local Cub dealer. He asked what size the tires were and told me he didn't have an exact fit but one that may work. I haven't tried them yet. I could buy a 26x12x12 and shorten if this doesn't work?