stihl br-600 blower won't start

rickhun

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got this stihl blower , went to start and never would start, last time i used started right up,but this time no, i went got new plug put in and same ,had a friend hold gas full throttle and it started but it would barly run ,i started to pump bub and it picked up and ran , cut off and same had to pump bub to get to run full throttle What could be my problem carb.?????

Threads
Got this stihl blower , went to start and never would start, last time i used started right up,but this time no, i went got new plug put in and same ,had a friend hold gas full throttle and it started but it would barly run ,i started to pump bub and it picked up and ran , cut off and same had to pump bub to get to run full throttle What could be my problem carb.?????

Since I'm not a mechanic, the only advice I could give you would be to look at these other threads--maybe you will find something (at least until someone else responds).

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/small-engine-mower-repair/7852-stihl-br600-blower-not-starting.html

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/small-engine-mower-repair/12077-leaf-blower-wont-start.html

Good luck! :smile:

thse

Threads
sounds like a clogged muffler or a fuel problem, I would check the muffler first then if it isnt clogged then it is sometype of fuel problem.

lunytune2

Threads
There is a little screen in your muffler (pollution stuff) stick a screwdriver in the screen and pull it out . I run alot of Stihl in my landscaping business , these always affect the machine . Now if you mow in state parks etc . you will need to keep these in as per there pollution regulations.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is a little screen in your muffler (pollution stuff) stick a screwdriver in the screen and pull it out . I run alot of Stihl in my landscaping business , these always affect the machine . Now if you mow in state parks etc . you will need to keep these in as per there pollution regulations.

That Little screen is called a Spark Arresting Screen. It probably needs to be removed and cleaned and re- installed, don't run the machine without it. It actually doesn't have much to do with pollution, it actually keeps Hot carbonized deposits from escaping from the exhaust and possibly catching something on fire or so they claim. The screens become either damaged or heavily carbonized and need to be cleaned if the engine is down on power, doesn't run smoothly and run at its max rpm. You can remove three screws off the cover on the side of the muffler to expose the screen, remove the screen and clean with a wire brush and just re-install it no big problem, a 2 minute job. I do it to my BR 550 a couple a times a year. In fact on the 600 you don't even need to remove the screws, there are two holes on the cover at the muffler location just loosen them and take a pair of pliers and pull out the the square exhaust tube and remove the screen, the tube slides in and out.

Last edited:

lunytune2

Threads
A Stihl mechanic told me to take it out and throw it away ... been running like that for years .... no fires yet , and they run great with no problems.

Exmark fan

Threads
It doesn't sound like a exhaust problem at all. If your having to prime it to get it to full throttle, I would start in the carburetor.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
A Stihl mechanic told me to take it out and throw it away ... been running like that for years .... no fires yet , and they run great with no problems.

The mechanic where I purchased mine told me not to run without it. You can do what you like, :smile: I just told him what I was told and what the manual says the procedure is for maintenance and it says clean it or replace it.
As far as being a carb problem that maybe true but I've always been a believer in doing the cheapest and easiest things first. Process of elimination.

Exmark fan

Threads
If the exhaust is stopped up. Priming it would not allow it to open up. It would run bad consistently.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the exhaust is stopped up. Priming it would not allow it to open up. It would run bad consistently.

The only thing I can see that priming would do is to force more gas into the cylinder to burn and it would burn for a short period. He has changed the plug, how about the air filters, how about gas filter, how about the primer blub itself for cracks, they are noted to go bad. That's why I suggested the process of elimination before you go into the carb. 99% of the time it's the simply fix that's overlooked. It's all just suggestions to maybe save money.