Snapper Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

Snapperfreak

Threads
Welcome SnapperLady, good to have u on board! I'm partial to the 80s walk-behinds myself. Any part u need is available online, I always use Lawn Mower Parts. Do u have any pics of your mowers?

SnapperLady

Threads
Re: Snapper Owner Check-In --- my welcome!

Thanks for the nice welcome!

In fact, I have pics of my SR1433 - just created an album and trying to figure out how to post them. Aha - think I did it.

Need to go to friend's garage where my walk-behind is being stored and get pics and the model number.

I *think* you're the guy whose posts I read as a visitor and said to myself, "Myself, you need to join this forum!!" You posted a link to the parts site, as well as info. on getting the owner's manuals and parts list off the Snapper site. Invaluable info. for me. I want to thank you!

Other reading I found interesting - how repair people often don't want to truly find solutions. Hem and haw and let a mower sit around, make excuses to me. Probably because I'm a girl, right?

In looking for a front tire, I found a GREAT site, a place located right here in Virginia that has all kinds of good stuff. Can't find a mower tire for a reasonable price? These guys sell actual TIRES (not the whol wheel assembly). But still checking around, too. My buddy might have one at his shop.

Attachments

• Snapper SR1433-1.jpg
    Snapper SR1433-1.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 48
  • Snapper SR1433-2.JPG
    Snapper SR1433-2.JPG
    320.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Snapper engine.JPG
    Snapper engine.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 36

Snapperfreak

Threads
Hey that looks great. I like those RERs. Ya I'm a fan of the old stuff and of taking care of it. Im sure that old walk-behind of you're can be repaired no problem, looking foreward to pics of it!:thumbsup:

Snapperfreak

Threads
OK back at the terminal. Can't do much from my phone. By the way, always nice to have another Snapper enthusiast on here. Would like to take a look at your walk-behind with the broken parts when u get a chance to upload them. So here are some pics of my line up for ya. The 2cycle Wisconsin-Robin is not outside with the rest because I just got it a couple days ago, the 4cycle WR is the only one with the wide handlebars. The 4hp Briggs (non I/C) I got for free a few months ago from the original owner. Always garaged, no rust, hadn't been started in 5 years and fired right up when I got it home. Go figure.
I painted the WR 4cycle and the Briggs 4hp I/C but decided to keep the WR 2cycle all original, no paint. It's my favorite to use, love how it sounds. I guess technically I have 5 of these but the fifth I don't really claim because it's the one I put together for my brother-in-law. His Craftsman was a pos and once I got the WR 4cycle engine I took the 1995 5hp Briggs I/C engine off the deck and swapped it for the WR, then got a good sp deck from the junk pile at my friend who owns a mower shop here and put that engine on it for him.
I've also been collecting old vintage Snapper ads from the late 70s to late 80s off of ebay. Usually only a few bucks apiece, got them all in a binder. Sounds nerdy I know, but I grew up always wanting one and I guess that kinda morphed into this hobby as an adult. Always have enjoyed mowing the lawn, and a good piece of equipment makes it all the better!

Attachments

• IMG_8539.jpg
    IMG_8539.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8556.jpg
    IMG_8556.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8555.jpg
    IMG_8555.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8527.jpg
    IMG_8527.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 44

SnapperLady

Threads
Re: Snapper Owner Check-In --- my welcome!

Okay - I got the Model no. and pictures of my walk-behind tody!

Model No. is 21401P (ser # 74222223).

Larger pictures can be seen in My Albums.

It needs cables - bale to throttle, springs and such to engage the chain drive, a few other minor things. It was running great and mowing great until it got thrown into the back of a pick up truck when I wasn't looking and didn't have good moving help. It's been sitting in a friend's garage for a couple years now. But it's been moved outside and I worry about it every day!!

I really want to get this mower fixed and my usual local mower guy doesn't seem to want to mess with it. Anyone on this forum live in Virginia?

Attachments

• Snapper 21401P-top.JPG
    Snapper 21401P-top.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Snapper 21401P-rear.JPG
    Snapper 21401P-rear.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Snapper 21401P-drive gear.JPG
    Snapper 21401P-drive gear.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Snapper 21401P-handle.JPG
    Snapper 21401P-handle.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Snapper 21401P-rear drive.JPG
    Snapper 21401P-rear drive.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 28

Snapperfreak

Threads
hey I have the exact same mower! well I'm about 2500 miles from Virginia but I can give u some pointers right now. that can totally be brought back to life. first, looks like the self-propel cable needs to be re-attached to the spring that connects it to the drive system. no big deal. maybe a new spring, couple bucks. i would take that engine-brake handle off completely (like 3 out the four of mine). it attaches to a spring at the engine that, when depressed, allows engine to be started. u can take that spring off and use a zip tie to keep that in the 'on' position so u can walk away from the mower and leave it running and just stop it with the throttle. bolts on handlebars could probably use tightening.
as for the axle that looks to be missing its cap where the grease goes, i would probably use compressor to blow out any debris inside and refill with some good '00' axle grease. cover with duct tape or something til u can get another cap.
the outside of engine can easily be cleaned up by spraying some simple green on it, scrubbing what parts u can get to and then hosing off (just try not to spray water into the recoil shroud). empty any gas, change plug and filter and try starting. my 21401P that i got from its original owner who bought it new in 1986 hadn't run in five years...was just sitting in his garage. it started up on 2nd pull and while it would usually sputter on anything less than full throttle, after adding some seafoam to the fuel (it's supposed to clean the fuel system from the inside out) i've noticed it running better. u can get that at any auto parts store.
can u get it back to your place? or at least indoors?? that would be fun to clean up if i had it. that's a good mower...git 'r done!:smile:

Snapperfreak

Threads
almost forgot, did i mention oil change??????? that's a must.

SnapperLady

Threads
Thanks for all the helpful tips! I printed them out!!

Of course, an oil change, as well as all the other maintenance items for the engine. I have no doubt it will fire right up. My main concern is getting the linkage hooked up correctly and the other cables connected correctly.

I've found that most repair people can get a small engine running really well but either don't care or don't have the skills to get anything else fixed properly. My usual local mower guy seems totally disinterested.

I am definitely going to get the mower back over here - there's room in my shed for it now that I have my Snapper rider! It needs to be inside. I cannot tolerate people who have no respect for equipment.

There is one guy on this forum who is in Virginia - I'm hoping he'll respond and maybe can help me with the fixing up. Too bad you're on the other side of the country.

Snapperfreak

Threads
I couldn't agree more about the respect for equipment. When I see mowers sitting out in someone's yard all the time wasting away it drives me nuts. Snapper or otherwise. Ya I wish I could help with your mower but I'm glad u found someone local that hopefully can help. All the best of luck and I hope to hear how progress is going.

And I'm glad to hear you're getting it back over in your shed!!:smile:

SnapperLady

Threads
I haven't found anyone to work on my mower....just noticed there is someone on this forum who is in VA. Haven't seen him post a reply. I sent him a PM.

By the way - on all your helpful advice - I can do a clean up but I am not able to actually work on my own mowers. I am not a mechanic by any mans - even something as simple as an oil change!

I am just a dedicated user and owner who cherishes her equipment and always needs to find someone to do the mechanical work, maintenance, etc. This is the first time I've found people who actually LIKE working on mowers. Seems most small engine repair people don't really care.

I'll let you know when the 21410P is safely home.

Did you see my post about the old Ariens??