Snakes Vs. Dogs??

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bring home every black snake I can find. I have seen them reach over 6 feet in these parts. Unfortunetly I have 2 dogs that feel it's thier job to protect us from snakes. When I see the dogs barking at a bush I have to get there before they do. When I see a bloody dog I usually find snake pieces after a short search.
I will also catch and release gray and red rat snakes.
One day I was pulling a 300' of hose across the yard. The last 120' was black. Suddenly the hose started pulling back. I looked around to see one of my dogs with the hose in his mouth and eyes were as big as quarters:eek:, as he backed up as fast as he could all the time shaking his head and the hose:laughing:. I hollered at him and he droped the hose, but by that time it had 4 holes in it.
I still laugh when I picture that.
He thinks he's invinceable, not afraid of anything.... except the vacumn cleaner:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Bill1.jpg
    Bill1.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 8

mois25

Threads
I would never have given seeing a black snake a second thought. We used to have a lot of these in our farm and it is a good thing they can get rid of the rodents...

That is a lesson learned.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bring home every black snake I can find. I have seen them reach over 6 feet in these parts. Unfortunetly I have 2 dogs that feel it's thier job to protect us from snakes. When I see the dogs barking at a bush I have to get there before they do. When I see a bloody dog I usually find snake pieces after a short search.
I will also catch and release gray and red rat snakes.
One day I was pulling a 300' of hose across the yard. The last 120' was black. Suddenly the hose started pulling back. I looked around to see one of my dogs with the hose in his mouth and eyes were as big as quarters:eek:, as he backed up as fast as he could all the time shaking his head and the hose:laughing:. I hollered at him and he droped the hose, but by that time it had 4 holes in it.
I still laugh when I picture that.
He thinks he's invinceable, not afraid of anything.... except the vacumn cleaner:rolleyes:

What a funny story...thanks for sharing it with us. That picture, for some reason, makes me think of the breed called a Jack Russell Terrier...did I identify him correctly?

Shaun

Threads
I am not at all fond of snakes but having spent part of my childhood in the country I realize they are necessary for rodent population control. I'd much rather have the black ones than copper heads and rattlers.

BGC

Threads
Based on where your post says you are from or located. The black snake would either be a black racer or an indigo and neither are venomous so there shouldn't be a problem.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I had a Cairn Terrier for 17 years... for some reason he hated snakes... That little boy just went crazy when he crossed paths with one... and he would almost jump out of his fur at any little stick or twig that caught his eye after a snake encounter...
boy I sure miss that little guy... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had a Cairn Terrier for 17 years... for some reason he hated snakes... That little boy just went crazy when he crossed paths with one... and he would almost jump out of his fur at any little stick or twig that caught his eye after a snake encounter...
boy I sure miss that little guy... :smile:KennyV

When I was about ten years old we had a collie mutt that hated snakes, he would grab them up in his mouth and whip them to death shaking them around...he didn't care what kind they were he hated all kinds.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
What a funny story...thanks for sharing it with us. That picture, for some reason, makes me think of the breed called a Jack Russell Terrier...did I identify him correctly?

Your half right....

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Means I got the terrier part right, huh....:laughing::laughing:

yes, his father is a regsitered Parsons Jack Russell, his mother is the dog to your left, truly a fine canine.:thumbsup: