Export thread

Snakes Vs. Dogs??

J

JimmyWeb

I just bought a nice piece of land, and I saw a black snake in my woodpile yesterday. I have a German Shepard puppy and I was curious if the black snake would harm him? If he will not bother my dog then I have no reason to bother him.

Hand2ThePlow

Hand2ThePlow

I just bought a nice piece of land, and I saw a black snake in my woodpile yesterday. I have a German Shepard puppy and I was curious if the black snake would harm him? If he will not bother my dog then I have no reason to bother him.

Doubtfull, my GSD was courious about snakes but never bothered them to the point that the snake felt it needed to strike. Usually it would slither off into the weeds and Elsie would loose interest.

Is your pup full blood?

BKBrown

BKBrown

Black Snakes are non-venomous and will actually kill copperheads -- I'll take all the BlackSnakes I can get !

I didn't notice where you are, but try to keep the areas where the dog will go cut fairly low and it will be less likely to encounter snakes or surprise them.

R

ReggieDeere

Yeah I have to say that black snakes can be blessings for when you have rodent problems, I think that your black snake would have to worry more about your dog then the other way around.:wink:

Black Snakes are non-venomous and will actually kill copperheads -- I'll take all the BlackSnakes I can get !

I didn't notice where you are, but try to keep the areas where the dog will go cut fairly low and it will be less likely to encounter snakes or surprise them.

H

harleyron74

I don't belive you have any poisonous snakes in the D.C. area (Well, there might be A few on Capitol Hill!) so I would think your dog is safe. Cars are a much bigger threat to the little guy.

Good Luck!
H.R.

B

BlueGrass

Unless the snake is poisonous then I would leave it alone. If it's a poisonous snake then I would try to get rid of it for the sake of you and your dog. If the snake is staying in the wood pile and only coming out to feed I wouldn't worry.

S

SallyA

I've always hated and been afraid of all snakes whether they are venomous or not. Now that I know that black snakes kill copperheads, I have a new attitude. Black snakes are okay, but I still hope they stay out of my garden.

JDgreen

JDgreen

I've always hated and been afraid of all snakes whether they are venomous or not. Now that I know that black snakes kill copperheads, I have a new attitude. Black snakes are okay, but I still hope they stay out of my garden.

I have never seen a poisonous snake on our property but we have a lot of garter (or garden) snakes. My cats find them very interesting and I try to keep the snakes from being hurt when my guys discover one. Last year my black and white cat was following a good size garter snake and the snake slithered into his underground home, my cat sat there and looked at the opening his expression was "WTF DID THAT THING DISAPPEAR TO? It was so funny.

BKBrown

BKBrown

Keep all the Black Snakes you can get - they will actually eat poisenous snakes and won't bother the dog ! :thumbsup:

P

patches

I have Fox Terriers and they came across a snake. They were barking like crazy, but when I checked, they were keeping a little distance between them and the snake. I don't know if that would be true for all dogs all the time, though, or if they were in striking distance if the snake had been poisonous, There were three of them and when I chased them away, the snake crawled into the woods.

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

I bring home every black snake I can find. I have seen them reach over 6 feet in these parts. Unfortunetly I have 2 dogs that feel it's thier job to protect us from snakes. When I see the dogs barking at a bush I have to get there before they do. When I see a bloody dog I usually find snake pieces after a short search.
I will also catch and release gray and red rat snakes.
One day I was pulling a 300' of hose across the yard. The last 120' was black. Suddenly the hose started pulling back. I looked around to see one of my dogs with the hose in his mouth and eyes were as big as quarters:eek:, as he backed up as fast as he could all the time shaking his head and the hose:laughing:. I hollered at him and he droped the hose, but by that time it had 4 holes in it.
I still laugh when I picture that.
He thinks he's invinceable, not afraid of anything.... except the vacumn cleaner:rolleyes:

Attachments

M

mois25

I would never have given seeing a black snake a second thought. We used to have a lot of these in our farm and it is a good thing they can get rid of the rodents...

That is a lesson learned.

JDgreen

JDgreen

I bring home every black snake I can find. I have seen them reach over 6 feet in these parts. Unfortunetly I have 2 dogs that feel it's thier job to protect us from snakes. When I see the dogs barking at a bush I have to get there before they do. When I see a bloody dog I usually find snake pieces after a short search.
I will also catch and release gray and red rat snakes.
One day I was pulling a 300' of hose across the yard. The last 120' was black. Suddenly the hose started pulling back. I looked around to see one of my dogs with the hose in his mouth and eyes were as big as quarters:eek:, as he backed up as fast as he could all the time shaking his head and the hose:laughing:. I hollered at him and he droped the hose, but by that time it had 4 holes in it.
I still laugh when I picture that.
He thinks he's invinceable, not afraid of anything.... except the vacumn cleaner:rolleyes:

What a funny story...thanks for sharing it with us. That picture, for some reason, makes me think of the breed called a Jack Russell Terrier...did I identify him correctly?

S

Shaun

I am not at all fond of snakes but having spent part of my childhood in the country I realize they are necessary for rodent population control. I'd much rather have the black ones than copper heads and rattlers.

BGC

BGC

Based on where your post says you are from or located. The black snake would either be a black racer or an indigo and neither are venomous so there shouldn't be a problem.

K

KennyV

I had a Cairn Terrier for 17 years... for some reason he hated snakes... That little boy just went crazy when he crossed paths with one... and he would almost jump out of his fur at any little stick or twig that caught his eye after a snake encounter...
boy I sure miss that little guy... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

JDgreen

I had a Cairn Terrier for 17 years... for some reason he hated snakes... That little boy just went crazy when he crossed paths with one... and he would almost jump out of his fur at any little stick or twig that caught his eye after a snake encounter...
boy I sure miss that little guy... :smile:KennyV

When I was about ten years old we had a collie mutt that hated snakes, he would grab them up in his mouth and whip them to death shaking them around...he didn't care what kind they were he hated all kinds.

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

What a funny story...thanks for sharing it with us. That picture, for some reason, makes me think of the breed called a Jack Russell Terrier...did I identify him correctly?

Your half right....

JDgreen

JDgreen

Your half right....

Means I got the terrier part right, huh....:laughing::laughing:

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

Means I got the terrier part right, huh....:laughing::laughing:

yes, his father is a regsitered Parsons Jack Russell, his mother is the dog to your left, truly a fine canine.:thumbsup:

J

jsutfun

Just a note about the poisonous/non-poisonous remarks here. I live on top of the Blue Ridge Mts. and while we have Copperheads and Rattlers here, they thankfully are not very common. However, just 30 miles or so from here the elevation drops so significantly that these snakes are plentiful. I had a coworker that lived there. He kept a sawdust pile to mulch his garden throughout the summer. Usually when do shovelled into the pile, he disturbed several snakes. Common was the day he dug out rattlers, copperheads, and blacksnakes living happily in the same sawdust pile. Moral of the story...poisonous and non-poisonous will cohabitate, and not necessarily harm the other. As for me, I will kill every snake I can and apologize to no one.

reynoldston

reynoldston

- As for me, I will kill every snake I can and apologize to no one.

I agree on that one, the only good snake is a dead one.

Carscw

Carscw

I agree on that one, the only good snake is a dead one.

I do not like snakes but hate dogs more. I do not have a dog but yet I step in dog **** in my yard.
Would I shot the dog ? No but I did trap one and called the dog pound to remove it.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Ric

Ric

I do not like snakes but hate dogs more. I do not have a dog but yet I step in dog **** in my yard.
Would I shot the dog ? No but I did trap one and called the dog pound to remove it.

I don't care for snakes but they don't really bother me to much depending on the type and Ally doesn't bother me too much either, I just chase him back in the pond when I'm ready to mow. I do have three Dogs that stay in the house, two cavaliers and a spaniel and I love um to death. I'd never put a dog in the pound to be put to sleep. That's cruel.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Yes I know how you feel, the neighbors dogs and cats just seem to like to use my lawn and garden for there personal toilet. I really don't do anything about it because I don't want problems with my neighbor so I just clean it up.