Regent 22/44 tyranny drive belt question...

maciroch

Forum Newbie
Threads
How difficult did the drive belt replacement end up being? I have a 2008 Regent 22/44 and would like to do the same thing. The pulleys look like they will come off pretty easily. Can the belt simply be slipped over the PTO (without removing the PTO) if the wiring harness is unplugged and the retainer/pin is removed? That would leave only the gear/steering shaft...

Once I got the steering shaft out (had to use penetrating oil to pull the steering wheel), it was fairly easy. The belt won't come off the PTO while it is in place; there's a belt keeper on the frame so once you drop the PTO the belt slides right off. On mine, the wiring harness was stuck behind the battery so I couldn't disconnect it. Removed the center bolt holding the PTO on & held it with one hand while slipping the old belt off & the new one on. Once that was done, had everything buttoned up in 15 minutes.

stpmower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Once I got the steering shaft out (had to use penetrating oil to pull the steering wheel), it was fairly easy. The belt won't come off the PTO while it is in place; there's a belt keeper on the frame so once you drop the PTO the belt slides right off. On mine, the wiring harness was stuck behind the battery so I couldn't disconnect it. Removed the center bolt holding the PTO on & held it with one hand while slipping the old belt off & the new one on. Once that was done, had everything buttoned up in 15 minutes.

Thanks. I finally got around to working on this yesterday. The PTO came off fine, but the key (for the PTO) and the crankshaft pully will not budge. [If the belt keeper were not there, I could leave the pulley on.] I could try some AeroKroil/PB Blaster on the key, pully, and crankshaft. If that does not work, I guess I will have to take it to the shop. I do not have a lot of experience with torches and angle grinders, so I am worried about damaging the crankshaft if I were to go down that road.

maciroch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I finally got around to working on this yesterday. The PTO came off fine, but the key (for the PTO) and the crankshaft pully will not budge. [If the belt keeper were not there, I could leave the pulley on.] I could try some AeroKroil/PB Blaster on the key, pully, and crankshaft. If that does not work, I guess I will have to take it to the shop. I do not have a lot of experience with torches and angle grinders, so I am worried about damaging the crankshaft if I were to go down that road.

That should work. Let it soak in and with a few taps, should come right off.