Export thread

Regent 22/44 tyranny drive belt question...

maciroch

maciroch

Hi, everyone.

My 2011 Regent 22/44 is throwing the drive belt, so I picked up a new one from my dealer who figured it's stretched a bit
as well as new idler pulleys (figured I'd change them out at the same time).

Dropped the PTO and all the pulleys, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the belt from around the steering shaft without pulling either the shaft itself or dropping the steering gear & bracket.

Is that what I have to do or is there a shortcut to this?

Gotta go back to the dealer tomorrow as I also found a tranny mount bracket cracked & I can ask him then, but I figured someone might be on today that can give me some advice.

Thanks if you can help.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using LMF

R

Rivets

Sorry to say, but yes on that model you do have to separate the bracket from the shaft to replace the belt.

maciroch

maciroch

Sorry to say, but yes on that model you do have to separate the bracket from the shaft to replace the belt.

Thanks, Rivets. Thought so. So when I pull the steering gear & bracket, the steering shaft should just slide through the hole on the bracket & hang free, correct?

R

Rivets

You are correct.

maciroch

maciroch

You are correct.

Thanks!

Fish

Fish

I googled Regent Tranny.....

My laptop will burn in hell................

maciroch

maciroch

I googled Regent Tranny.....

My laptop will burn in hell................
;^)

maciroch

maciroch

Turns out the only way to change the belt is to drop the steering shaft. Pretty simple (so they say). We'll see if I can get to it after work today.

S

stpmower

Turns out the only way to change the belt is to drop the steering shaft. Pretty simple (so they say). We'll see if I can get to it after work today.

How difficult did the drive belt replacement end up being? I have a 2008 Regent 22/44 and would like to do the same thing. The pulleys look like they will come off pretty easily. Can the belt simply be slipped over the PTO (without removing the PTO) if the wiring harness is unplugged and the retainer/pin is removed? That would leave only the gear/steering shaft...

maciroch

maciroch

How difficult did the drive belt replacement end up being? I have a 2008 Regent 22/44 and would like to do the same thing. The pulleys look like they will come off pretty easily. Can the belt simply be slipped over the PTO (without removing the PTO) if the wiring harness is unplugged and the retainer/pin is removed? That would leave only the gear/steering shaft...

Once I got the steering shaft out (had to use penetrating oil to pull the steering wheel), it was fairly easy. The belt won't come off the PTO while it is in place; there's a belt keeper on the frame so once you drop the PTO the belt slides right off. On mine, the wiring harness was stuck behind the battery so I couldn't disconnect it. Removed the center bolt holding the PTO on & held it with one hand while slipping the old belt off & the new one on. Once that was done, had everything buttoned up in 15 minutes.

S

stpmower

Once I got the steering shaft out (had to use penetrating oil to pull the steering wheel), it was fairly easy. The belt won't come off the PTO while it is in place; there's a belt keeper on the frame so once you drop the PTO the belt slides right off. On mine, the wiring harness was stuck behind the battery so I couldn't disconnect it. Removed the center bolt holding the PTO on & held it with one hand while slipping the old belt off & the new one on. Once that was done, had everything buttoned up in 15 minutes.

Thanks. I finally got around to working on this yesterday. The PTO came off fine, but the key (for the PTO) and the crankshaft pully will not budge. [If the belt keeper were not there, I could leave the pulley on.] I could try some AeroKroil/PB Blaster on the key, pully, and crankshaft. If that does not work, I guess I will have to take it to the shop. I do not have a lot of experience with torches and angle grinders, so I am worried about damaging the crankshaft if I were to go down that road.

maciroch

maciroch

Thanks. I finally got around to working on this yesterday. The PTO came off fine, but the key (for the PTO) and the crankshaft pully will not budge. [If the belt keeper were not there, I could leave the pulley on.] I could try some AeroKroil/PB Blaster on the key, pully, and crankshaft. If that does not work, I guess I will have to take it to the shop. I do not have a lot of experience with torches and angle grinders, so I am worried about damaging the crankshaft if I were to go down that road.

That should work. Let it soak in and with a few taps, should come right off.