Raptor add-ons

RetiredGuns

Threads
I got a good deal on my Raptor with a military discount so I decided to buy a couple add-ons. I installed the heat shield and engine guard. I'm posting for a couple reasons, to show off my mower and for informational purposes. I don't think I was burning my lawn, but I figured the heat shield would prevent burn spots as well as keeping heat away from the hydros. Can't see it being a bad thing in any way. There was a post where someone was concerned about using the hitch hole while installing the heat shield. The solution is simple for anyone with a drill. I drilled 2 holes on both sides of the hitch hole and installed the shield. I know that towing anything beyond a light implement is not a good idea, but this way you at least have the option.

There were also concerns that the engine guard interfered with the throttle/choke cables, but you can see by the pics that there is a lot of clearance. Just a couple inexpensive mods to make the Raptor a little better.

a.JPG

b.JPG

c.JPG

d.JPG

e.JPG

f.JPG

g.JPG

h.JPG

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I got a good deal on my Raptor with a military discount so I decided to buy a couple add-ons. I installed the heat shield and engine guard. I'm posting for a couple reasons, to show off my mower and for informational purposes. I don't think I was burning my lawn, but I figured the heat shield would prevent burn spots as well as keeping heat away from the hydros. Can't see it being a bad thing in any way. There was a post where someone was concerned about using the hitch hole while installing the heat shield. The solution is simple for anyone with a drill. I drilled 2 holes on both sides of the hitch hole and installed the shield. I know that towing anything beyond a light implement is not a good idea, but this way you at least have the option.

There were also concerns that the engine guard interfered with the throttle/choke cables, but you can see by the pics that there is a lot of clearance. Just a couple inexpensive mods to make the Raptor a little better.
Both very wise additions to your new Hustler!!!! That heat shield will definitely add to the life of your hydros. I still think you need to go ahead and get that suspension seat upgrade......you've earned it:0)

Something tells me that your Hustler and you are going to have a very long relationship as good of care as you're giving it!!!

RetiredGuns

Threads
Both very wise additions to your new Hustler!!!! That heat shield will definitely add to the life of your hydros. I still think you need to go ahead and get that suspension seat upgrade......you've earned it:0)

Something tells me that your Hustler and you are going to have a very long relationship as good of care as you're giving it!!!

Not sure if a $400 seat is worth it. I mow a really flat lawn. Being a 20 year Marine I might just miss the tactile feedback! Catch me in 10 years when I am on a daily dose of Doans. :laughing:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure if a $400 seat is worth it. I mow a really flat lawn. Being a 20 year Marine I might just miss the tactile feedback! Catch me in 10 years when I am on a daily dose of Doans. :laughing:

Wow..that's kinda pricey and I agree, not worth that much:0(
Seems like you could find a suspension upgrade for half that($200-$250).
As an aside, our oldest grandson, who graduated from High School this year, just enlisted for 6 Years in the Air Force. We're very proud of his commitment, but he chose a pretty dangerous field(Special Forces EOD....as you probably know, that's Explosive Ordinance Disposal). Of course in military service we understand there is potential for being in harm's way regardless of your specialty. He left for Basic Training at Lackland AFB in San Antonio, TX on June 17. We are looking forward to attending his BMT graduation in August before he starts EOD training. Thanks again for your service!!!

RetiredGuns

Threads
Wow..that's kinda pricey and I agree, not worth that much:0(
Seems like you could find a suspension upgrade for half that($200-$250).
As an aside, our oldest grandson, who graduated from High School this year, just enlisted for 6 Years in the Air Force. We're very proud of his commitment, but he chose a pretty dangerous field(Special Forces EOD....as you probably know, that's Explosive Ordinance Disposal). Of course in military service we understand there is potential for being in harm's way regardless of your specialty. He left for Basic Training at Lackland AFB in San Antonio, TX on June 17. We are looking forward to attending his BMT graduation in August before he starts EOD training. Thanks again for your service!!!

Not sure of the actual price from Hustler, but after market seats from Michigan and the likes seem to be North of $300. I'll see how my old butt bone does over the summer.

Congrats & prayers at the same time for your Grandson. EOD can indeed be a dangerous MOS. Good training & technology has really helped our guys.

D

DSepe

That thing looks brand new! How many hours on it?

gfp55

Threads
Nice add ons to your Raptor. Look sweet, and the two bolts on the hitch holding the heat shield looks stock. Very Nice

Nickwilkins

Threads
I was able to get a suspension kit that fits between the mower and the seat for $125 on eBay. Well worth more than $125.

kadowson

Threads
I have 6 hours on my Raptor and have been looking for an hour meter to keep track of service and maintenance. I haven't been able to find one made for Raptor, but then again, I live 60 miles from my nearest dealer. They are a tire dealership who sells Raptors so they aren't stocked with all the goodies. I've searched Ebay and found several universal meters but not sure what will work and what to look for. I need to get one soon as the hours will start adding up.