please read and reply, i need advice on how to modify my mower

AVB

Threads
  • / please read and reply, i need advice on how to modify my mower
why is it limited to that size? and so your saying i cant put bigger tires on it? and its a 20x8-8
That is what Hydro Gear spec'd the transaxle for max wheel size. That is probably the max the transaxle safety drive without slippage more than it is design. Think of Hydrostatic transmission much a torque convertor that can stall out if too much of a load is put on it.
it dosent say all it says is twin cylinders. is there a way i can tell?
Opposed twin would have the cylinder straight across from each other (180 degrees) and a V twin would have them at 90 degrees of each other.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
now if i may ask why will for example changing pulley sizes to make it go faster destroy the tranny? (hydrostatic) and also, ive been scanning the internet, and ive seen people saying that removing the muffler on a mower (wich i did), reduces horse power do to backpressure, and some people say its not true. now is that true or just a myth?

( this is an edit ) >>>>> ive done alot of reasearch tonight and ive been seeing, that a hydro static transmission will not handle faster speeds ( which you guys said) but ive also seen that sometimes a hydrostatic mower can lose speed, and it says you can fix it by priming it or something, and then there was things saying that theres a screw or something you can do to adjust it. is there a way i can tell if it has lost speed, or if it has how can i fix it?? sorry for bombing you guys with questions,ive worked really hard to buy this used mower it wasnt that much money but i still worked hard ( i paid 350$), heres my story : early last summer i wanted to make some money by cutting neighbors yard so i borrowed my dads push mower, ( didint want me to use the rider cause i needed to learn) then i said to myself, "hey, is should start a mowing buisness, i used my money that i scraped up form cutting the neighbors yard and by b day and x mas money, and i bought some parts for my electric scooter i had laying around, i got a 500 watt motor on 3, 12 ah 12v batteries running a 36 volt overvolt kit at 750 watts, a 1000 watt 36v speed controller and a proportional throttle, that thing was bad, i put a 80 tooth rear sprocket on that thing and it flied, i went around 35+ on that thing. i went down the street and bought the used push mower a man was selling, then i whipped out the old lawn tractor trailer we had laying around so i could put lawnmower weedeater, blower in it. then i hooked up a tow hitch to the chassie of the scooter and there i was, imagine a 13 yr old kid going 30 mph down a residental road with a lawn tractor trailer filled with lawn equipment. after a cople weeks i already had 8 yards, i was banking 700$ month avg some more some less, cause 1 month i had 11 yards ( only in the season though i made that much money) then when the season was over and i was coming home from my last yard, i was at an itersection ( residential not public) and i had to get home quick, and i said to my self, "im gonna floor it" so i do, then about 100 feet later, motor stops spinning and i smell smoke, and guess what? motors blown. so im sitting here 2 mi away from home, with no phone, and a blown motor, so now i have to push a 80 pound scooter, and 200 pounds of cargo, 2 miles, mind you i put blood sweat and tears into that scooter, i loved that thing, i rode that sucker 600 miles in 3 months i teared up a bit going home. now to this day i still havent put another motor on that thing luckily seasons over and i have no yards to do.

okay back to what we are talking about originally, its just once i heard that you can have issues modding a hydro static mower, my heart sunk, because i bought this mower with intensions of modding it, and i hope i didnt do it all for nothing.

if i have done all this for nothing somebody plz tell me so i dont go any farther. plz and thx

The answer to your questions was back in the first set of responses.
You have to be able to understand how things work before you can safely modify them to work differently.
On many engines, cars & motorcycles with multiple cylinders back pressure is significabt.
On most mower engines it is not
On most mower engines removing the muffler just makes them louder .
It also dramatically increases the risk of burning valves particularly at low revs.

Hydro drives are designed to run at a fixed speed.
Run them too slow and more oil leaks between the valve plate & cylinder block that passes through the cylinders.
When spinning too fast the pistons flutter in the valve chest.
There are no seals or piston rings in a hydro drine so either of these situations will cause errosion destruying the valve plate & piston block

logert gogert

Threads
thank you, but 1 more qustion, can i put bigger tires on it?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The Hydro is limited to a maximum wheel diameter of 20" which would the 20 x10 - 8 wheel that is probably already on it.
Read what AVB said.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
hqdefault.jpg
this is an Opposed twin, in pic # 1

750264_2000x2000.jpg
this is a V twin, since the cylinders are in a V.

logert gogert

Threads
hqdefault.jpg
this is an Opposed twin, in pic # 1

750264_2000x2000.jpg
this is a V twin, since the cylinders are in a V.
okay i have an oposed, why did you ask? did it have to do with reply #26?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Well, if you want to know how to supe up the engine, we would need to know what kind you have, :) of course if you've decided against it cause of the tranny that's ok.

logert gogert

Threads
Well, if you want to know how to supe up the engine, we would need to know what kind you have, :) of course if you've decided against it cause of the tranny that's ok.
its an oposed, do you need another model number?

logert gogert

Threads
what else do you need to know about the engine?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
On the red or black metal engine cover, there should be a metal tag with the model type and code on it. With that we can give you more info.