please read and reply, i need advice on how to modify my mower

logert gogert

Threads
  • / please read and reply, i need advice on how to modify my mower
my name is logan and im 13, have just got a 2006 mtd 2 cylinder mower, i have already took the deck off, swapped the pulley to give it about +5 ish mph, and i have put dualie tires on it and a led lightbar. but i would like to do more to it, i dont really know that much about mower engines, and havent really done anything to the motor besides a tune up, i was wondering if i could maybe put a gas pedal on it, how do i put it on? how does it work? and once it is on, do you need to keep the stock "accelerator pushed in then when you want to go faster get on the gas pedal? and what about doing anything with the governer is that a good route? i dont have very much knowledge in mower modifieng and just saw it on you tube and thought id do it, i just really need some advice and help. PLEASE REPLY

-logan

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is this a hydrostatic transmission drive? If so running the engine faster might not make the mower ground speed any faster. Once the hydraulic pressure gets to the bypass pressure there's no more power or speed from the unit.

logert gogert

Threads
ummm, i think, ive never really meessed with transmissions, and dont know alot about them can you inform me what a hydrstatic is? sorry and thx for replying to, i was beginning to think nobody would

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Being a retired instructor my advice to you would be to go to your local library and get a couple of books on small engine repair. You admit that your knowledge of this subject is limited and this will be a problem as you don’t understand a reply. If you don’t understand how an engine or transmission works, which will limit how you modify it to meet your needs. The mechanics on this site don’t have the time to walk you through each modification, especially if you don’t know what they are asking you. Example, knowing how the accelerator pedal, throttle, governor and type of transmission work together to adjust your ground speed. Once you have a little better understanding of how everything works, please comeback with your questions and we will be glad to help you.

logert gogert

Threads
over the past few days i have researched about what a hydro static transmission is and i now under stand, i already have quite a bit of knoweldge about how an engine, and transmission, worked, its just since ive never been around mowers ive never heard of a hydrostatic transmission up until the other day, now were you just wanting too tell me to do that, or could you maybe help me, with modifying my mower? if you dont want to its okay. i dont want you to waste your time with a kid like me if you dont want to.

thx for the re[ply

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
It's better than having your face glued to a screen.

If you want to hook up a gas pedal, there are oodles of videos on youtube, keep in mind somehow you need to turn the up and down of the gas pedal, to in and out motion for the cable.
You can look at the hand throttle, that should give you a good idea of how it should work
If you could post some info about the engine that would help us and you.
I would advise against removing the governor, most engines are made to go to 3600RPM max, anymore than that you risk putting a window in your engine block.
if you read about people revving their Predator engines to 4200 rpm or more and removing the governor, 99% of them have a new ARC billet connecting rod with bearings. Not the stock Chinese crapsting
most or all small engines just have the connecting rod surface and the surface of the crank journal itself, no bearing.so RPMs above 3600 are really toeing the mark.
good luck!!

logert gogert

Threads
thanks alot man! recently a couple of dyas ago, i have already just said "screw it" and did the throttle my self, i yook it out of the dash, tossed that, and got and electric scooter brake handle wired that up, and put a spring on it and put it on the left side of the mower, so now i can just put it on cruise control, so when i wanna go slow, i can just keep it idling, or if i wanna go a lil faster, push my foot down more. so on and so forth. i love the way it feels, and also i decided to not to remove the governer i lil bit after i posted this thread, reasons simialar to what you just said, is there anything else you think is can do to give it more performance or offroading performace wise, oh yea one more thing, ingot bored today and i removed the muffler, THAT THING IS LOUD, and what i didint expect, is when i let off the gas it backfired..... he he he

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Logert, did you read and understand my last two sentences? I’ve dealt with students like you for more years than you’ve been around and for the last 15 years they want immediate answers instead of lifetime knowledge. When I had students who wanted to do what you want to do, we would find an old Bolens, IC, Wheel Horse shafted driven lawn tractor (not mower) and because they knew how the different systems worked together, they could get them to do 25+ miles per hour. They would shave heads, change and/or punch jets, changed ignition and valve timing, replace small engine pistons with automotive pistons, changed tire sizes, changed drive shafts, etc. They could do this because they knew how all the systems worked together, through book knowledge and hands on experience. The pros on this forum will probably be picking up a book or manual everyday at work, because that is where they will find 95% of the answers they need. They aren’t afraid to ask questions, but first they do their homework. They know that the computer is just another tool in the toolbox, which just like a monkey wrench, you must know how to use it correctly to get the job done right. It’s something we’ve learned as we got older, called experience. Good Luck in achieving your goals on your mower.

AVB

Threads
I know you said it was 2006 MTD mower but if you post the model number from the serial tags it will us a better idea of what you got in front of you. That we all know if you're working the single speed transaxle with CVT drive belt system or a hydrostatic transaxle.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It s the job of the old to pass on what they have learned to the young.
Often what they get told is not what they wanted to hear.
I am 68 and I still look up books on a daily basis.
We could give you fold tab B into slot C type information but you do not learn anything that way.
Mowers are designed to run at a fixed speed which is close to the peak torque of the engine and the speed adjustment is done through the transmission.
When you understand how things work then you an modify them to suit your needs when you don't all you do is bugger things up.
Running a hydro at low input speeds or excessive input speeds destroys the tranny.
For your purpose you would be a lot better serves looking for a mechanical drive that uses a drive chain so you can change sprocket to get the final speeds you desire.
Next best would be a sliding sheave type transmission where pulley sizes can be changed to change the range of speeds.
Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear but the way you are approaching this can end up in serious injury to either the machine or you or both.