no self control!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
well i did it again!.....damn craigslist! :laughing:....cost: $50....its 1997 murray widebody with a hydro auto with the forward/reverse foot pedal and a 17hp tecumseh...runs good.. tranny works great....what am i going to do with another mower?......hell if i know! :laughing:

...talk about the pot and the kettle...I may have tinkeritis , but you appear to be a tractor junkie...:laughing:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, I guess I'll have to drag all these projects out and take an incriminating photo.:ashamed::eek: And in answer to the second question, yes, the Jake is a 30" reel mower,model is a Park 30, manufactured in 1952. I've got to imagine the thing weighs between 250 and 300 lbs. A 4hp Kohler, (IIRC) and an old fashioned, aircraft style WICO magneto. I bought it for $30.00. I think it'll be fun to get going, in my copious amounts of spare time...:laughing::biggrin:

I thought that might be one of the old reel models. You got a great deal -- and I'm sure you're right about the weight -- they are massive things. When you get it running and sharpened it will give you a better cut than you could hope for from a rotary.

There's a thread in the Jacobsen forum on the history of their mowers -- I hope to see your mower there.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
guilty as charged! :laughing:

I salute tractor collectors. This obsession is far more economical than being a car junkie. You can obviously accumulate more and restore them as "bench projects" which is SWEET!" Do you hold tractor meets? And do you ride your machines to the gatherings?:smile:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
i was just at a tractor show last weekend......but unfortunately..no mowers....these are tiny tractors...and most dont take them to shows.......there is alot of us backyard nuts :biggrin:

benski

Threads
We ought to start a grass-roots :ashamed: movement nationwide to see if we could display our mowers (in running condition, I would think would be best) at state and county fairs. There may be some folks out there that would appreciate them.:biggrin: