NEW Briggs using oil!!!!!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Every new or correctly rebuilt engine needs some breakin time. Most engine manufacturers recommend only short time at full throttle for the first ten hours. When I repowered my Ingersoll GTs with new Onan engines it took 40-50 hours for oil and fuel consumption to stabilize. The Ingersoll GT that I still have has been repowered for the 3rd time with a B&S Vanguard 18, and it took 30-40 hours before settling in and then I switched it to synthetic oil. Bear in mind that I have been a commercial operator and when an engine starts giving me problems I replace it. I usually get 2,000 hours or more from my engines. Most generator engines run at 3,600-3,700 RPM at starting and suffer from this which usually causes higher than normal oil consumption.
Synthetic engine oil has a relentless detergent quality to it and because of this is not recommended for engine breakin.
Having been an aircraft mech, when we ran in a new or freshly overhauled aircraft engines for the first 50 hours using non detergent engine oil so the rings could seat normally and the engine could "coke" up which seals the small leaks.
Mad Mackie in CT