NEW Briggs using oil!!!!!

Mr. Shamrock

Threads
Many of you followed my thread on my 20 HP V-Twin B&S using oil. So I bought a new mower with a 22HP Briggs. You can't imagine how my blood pressure went up when I cut the yard for the first time with the new one and the oil level was down to the "Add" mark. There are 2.6 hours on this engine. This is supposed to be good for 100 hours between changes (according to the manual - I would never let it go that long). Has anyone heard of new engines using oil for some reason. I topped it off and plan on waiting till 5 hours and am going to change the oil to get whatever initial break in contaminants out. The good news is it is obviously under warranty, but DAMN!!!!!!

And yes I checked the level at the dealer before loading it on the trailer.

Threads
hopefully when the rings seat, oil consumption will stop. I agree that would be irritating...

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
An ounce an hour is considered normal by the small engine manufacturers. Do with it what you want, but until oil use exceeds that amount it is not considered excessive.

Mr. Shamrock

Threads
An ounce an hour is considered normal by the small engine manufacturers. Do with it what you want, but until oil use exceeds that amount it is not considered excessive.

It was more like 6 ounces or so (whatever gets them down to the "add" mark) in under 3 hours, but hopefully it was just a break in thing since it held the level with todays cut.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Best thing to do is just keep an eye on it, and see what happens. If it continues to use oil at that level then it needs to go to the dealer for evaluation.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
What did you use for oil in a new engine???
Did you ever figure out what was ailing the engine in your older machine?
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

Mr. Shamrock

Threads
What did you use for oil in a new engine???
Did you ever figure out what was ailing the engine in your older machine?
Mad Mackie in CT

I topped it off with some 30 weight.
No I never figured it out on the old machine. I let the new owner know of the oil using issue and even he was confused b/c it started and ran without a bit of smoke. I imagine it has a lot of life left.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Read the B&S engine operators manual regarding oil changes on a new engine. If synthetic oil is listed as an option put 50 hours on the engine using dino oil before switching to synthetic should you decide to use it. I use Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic in my four B&S engines but only after a good breakin period with dino oil.
Mad Mackie in CT

bollingball

Threads
Read the B&S engine operators manual regarding oil changes on a new engine. If synthetic oil is listed as an option put 50 hours on the engine using dino oil before switching to synthetic should you decide to use it. I use Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic in my four B&S engines but only after a good breakin period with dino oil.
Mad Mackie in CT

MM How did you come up with the 50 hr. time? If the rings are bedded in is that enough? Even if it is 10 hrs. or 20hrs.? What would you expect to see if changed in 10hrs. instead of 50hrs?

Ken