Mowing in the rain

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't think I remember but one week we have not had rain since before Christmas. Last summer we went for weeks that it rained everyday. Either cut it wet or raining or find another business to get in.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
I don't mind mowing in the rain, done it plenty of times.

If the ground is soaking wet, or if it's pouring, then I'll stop.

Same here, but if we didn't we'd just be sitting in the shop twiddling our thumbs. Its been a wet one so far in central Indiana.

Nwatson99

Threads
You got 30 yards to cut. It rains 3 days a week for the month of July. You either cut them in the rain or wet or they get so tall that they can be baled for hay.

Nope I am not a business, but I might mow just as much as a professional with 30 yards, but most home owners might get torqued off if a ztr is tearing up their wet yard mowing in the rain or leaving clumped up grass everywhere.
If it rains 3 days per week, might want to schedule those yards around the rain days to get them cut without rain falling on you.
It is just as bad as the mowing companies mowing dried burnt grass during a drought, you know the lawn is not growing during these times and all they are doing is burning it up even more.
There is a yard not two miles from me that has still yet to recover from a mowing company mowing it during the 2012 droughts we had, but they kept mowing dust and that yard which is 3 to 4 acres in size still looks bad today.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't mind mowing in the rain, done it plenty of times.

If the ground is soaking wet, or if it's pouring, then I'll stop.

You forgot to mention the third prohibitive condition.....lightening!!!
Nothing like being a moving lightening rod, riding around your front yard waiting to get lit up:0)

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nope I am not a business, but I might mow just as much as a professional with 30 yards, but most home owners might get torqued off if a ztr is tearing up their wet yard mowing in the rain or leaving clumped up grass everywhere. If it rains 3 days per week, might want to schedule those yards around the rain days to get them cut without rain falling on you. It is just as bad as the mowing companies mowing dried burnt grass during a drought, you know the lawn is not growing during these times and all they are doing is burning it up even more. There is a yard not two miles from me that has still yet to recover from a mowing company mowing it during the 2012 droughts we had, but they kept mowing dust and that yard which is 3 to 4 acres in size still looks bad today.

Again it is not a desirable thing to do however it gets to a point either you mow wet and sometimes even in the rain or you do not mow at all because of the amount of rain. Some times it rains every day for a week. Of course you try to pick the yards you have to mow under those conditions. However you do what you have to do.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
This time last year in a 60 day period it did not rain 4 days. Rained every weekend for 3 months.

I think today makes 16 days with rain in the afternoon.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
This time last year in a 60 day period it did not rain 4 days. Rained every weekend for 3 months. I think today makes 16 days with rain in the afternoon.

We have not had but one full week without rain since before Christmas. It was wet then.

X-man

Threads
You got 30 yards to cut. It rains 3 days a week for the month of July. You either cut them in the rain or wet or they get so tall that they can be baled for hay.
Oh, I just love it when the trailer park makes me mow an empty lot with grass that tall. Nothing better than hearing your 15 HP engine struggling for dear life :confused2:

You forgot to mention the third prohibitive condition.....lightening!!!
Nothing like being a moving lightening rod, riding around your front yard waiting to get lit up:0)
What? Come on! It's fun being a lightning rod on wheels. :laughing:

Threads
Luckily my mower does well in wet grass, because that's all it's been. It rained every day this past week. I mowed a lawn the day after it POURED, and luckily I have a light mower because it was VERY muddy!

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is like this. One day last week we loaded up and hauled 25 miles. We got about 3/4 or better through with a job. Then it started raining. There really was not an option for us but to finish.