Just got rip off by Gardner

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Definitely want to do your research before attempting a re-power.

Not all engine swaps are easy due additional items not fitting up and they must be changed too. This why I always recommend going back with the engine series whenever possible. Different PTO shaft requires different PTO clutch/or pulley and drive pulley. Mufflers are a lot of the time mounting differently. Wiring usually different so connections needs rewiring. All this adds labor time to the project as well.

Here the current Bad Boy with a blown KT740 would had needed a nearly 3K engine but the customer was willing to wait 12-18 weeks for the complete Kohler. I already had fun getting off the stuck on PTO clutch and drive pulley due BB not using anti-seize they rusted on. The I had to make a custom puller to get the flywheel off. No one in my area had 10+ inch puller. Today I am unboxing the short block and starting the reassembly of the engine which take several hours. Still looking like it going to be around $1500+ when I am finished. The short block was nearly $1000 including the $200 shipping charge.

And I just finish a Dixie Chopper LT2001 that customer attempted a re-power on. He pretty good putting the used engine and got lucky getting the same CV20 series considering there is no labels on the engine. But still costing another $600 in repairs. Electrical issues resolved, new choke cable, replaced bad cylinder head with one from the old engine, and repaired all the deck problems. Never seen before a cylinder head with a pinhole oil leak but that now on my list of rare problems. I would had not found it if wasn't for the UV dye.