HR195

mackstheknife

Threads
If you pull off the air cleaner, look inside the opening of the carb, and note if the choke plate is closed when the throttle is set to CHOKE, and opens when set to FAST.

If choke is operating okay, then probably some fuel slime/gunk inside the carb....

choke on.jpg

This is with the choke on.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Choke seems to be okay from the photos.

By default, I'd still be looking to give the carb an overhaul and complete cleaning. New gaskets, and pay attention to the needle valve and float.

Use some spray-type carb cleaner and a liberal amount of compressed air. Keep the work area spotless.

hr195%20carb%201%20of%202_zpso1ggupst.jpg

hr195%20carb%202%20of%202_zpsbx792vw2.jpg

mackstheknife

Threads
Choke seems to be okay from the photos.

By default, I'd still be looking to give the carb an overhaul and complete cleaning. New gaskets, and pay attention to the needle valve and float.

Use some spray-type carb cleaner and a liberal amount of compressed air. Keep the work area spotless.

Gosh. This is getting challenging. Can any clues be had from the fact that it seems to always happen when the mower has gotten warm?

Honda Tech

Threads
Doesn't look like your choke is actually closing all the way, but that would have nothing to do with why it dies when warm. If it is starting on the first pull like it should, choke is fine. If not, a little tweaking to the adjustments should resolve that issue.
Have you adjusted the valves yet and tried it?

mackstheknife

Threads
Doesn't look like your choke is actually closing all the way, but that would have nothing to do with why it dies when warm. If it is starting on the first pull like it should, choke is fine. If not, a little tweaking to the adjustments should resolve that issue.
Have you adjusted the valves yet and tried it?

Going to adjust the valves tonight to avoid trying to take the carb off and clean it, a little nervous about screwing things up I dont understand. It does start on the first pull, but there isnt much adjusting to be done after that fact, a little pull on the throttle and it runs almost right at the choke position.

I will once again report back tomorrow... with all the rain we are getting in NY my lawn is growing at an exponential rate... need this cleared up quick! thinking about checking with a professional mower repair guy, or at least my local tinkerer

Honda Tech

Threads
Send some of that rain my way! It's bone dry here. Not normal.

Adjusting valves isn't difficult providing you have the few necessary tools for it and follow the instructions.

Good Luck!

mackstheknife

Threads
Send some of that rain my way! It's bone dry here. Not normal.

Adjusting valves isn't difficult providing you have the few necessary tools for it and follow the instructions.

Good Luck!

Ill give it a go - I will try to get er done with the instructions you sent over and go from there!

thanks for all the advice fellas.... by the way - carb looks really clean as I was hoping to see visible gunk and residue - so hoping this valve adjustment will do it!