HR195

mackstheknife

Threads
New to the group... Hoping to get some answers on my HR195 ....

I received this mower from an old landscaping friend of mine - he said his brother gave it up due to some "throttle cable issues."

Due to my history with these old Honda mowers - I know they are workhorses and probably one of the best mowers ever, so I jumped on it.

The mower had given me no issues for the first couple of cuts until it just began to cut out without warning and then refusing to restart. The throttle cable is a little touchy, but it seems strange that it will just die and then not restart. It will sputter but not keep running. Brand new air filter has been installed, and when it runs its a great mower, however it has jammed me up on a couple of occasions leaving me with half my yard cut and looking despicable....

Any insight from you old Honda Heads on this stuff?

Dont want to pay an expert if I can avoid it.

Thanks!

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
It will sputter but not keep running. Brand new air filter has been installed, and when it runs its a great mower, however it has jammed me up on a couple of occasions leaving me with half my yard cut and looking despicable....

Any insight from you old Honda Heads on this stuff?

When it won't start, do a spark check first. If spark is good, probably a carburetor/fuel/air delivery issue.

See if the choke is fully open when the throttle is set to FAST. If choke is working okay, then pretty good chance it is some gunk/slime inside the carburetor. Probably worth a good cleaning, as a new carb is $60 (list price).

How old is the fuel? Flush and fill with fresh if any doubt.

Honda Tech

Threads
Don't overlook a simple valve adjustment. Proper valve tappet clearance is critical in the proper operation of these engines. If clearance is to tight, when hot, it can get to the point were one of the valves will not close and seal, hence, loss of compression and it quits until cooled. Intake: .006" / Exhaust: .008"
Also, get in the habit of using Premium Unleaded fuel. You won't regret it.
If valve adjustment and new spark plug don't resolve your issue, refer to previous thread concerning carburetor/fuel issue.

Good Luck!

mackstheknife

Threads
any info on where I can adjust that stuff? That seems to be the issue, because once it gets hot it dies randomly and then wont restart.

Honda Tech

Threads
As previously noted: Intake Valve Lash - .006" / Exhaust Valve Lash - .008"

mackstheknife

Threads
to answer other questions: air filter is new, spark plug is new.... am going to try this adjustment as recommended and then try a carb clean.

thanks for the help guys - I will update you.

mackstheknife

Threads
When it won't start, do a spark check first. If spark is good, probably a carburetor/fuel/air delivery issue.

See if the choke is fully open when the throttle is set to FAST. If choke is working okay, then pretty good chance it is some gunk/slime inside the carburetor. Probably worth a good cleaning, as a new carb is $60 (list price).

How old is the fuel? Flush and fill with fresh if any doubt.

Choke and full throttle are close to being the same setting on the mower....

Fuel is fresh.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Choke and full throttle are close to being the same setting on the mower....

Fuel is fresh.

If you pull off the air cleaner, look inside the opening of the carb, and note if the choke plate is closed when the throttle is set to CHOKE, and opens when set to FAST.

If choke is operating okay, then probably some fuel slime/gunk inside the carb....

mackstheknife

Threads
If you pull off the air cleaner, look inside the opening of the carb, and note if the choke plate is closed when the throttle is set to CHOKE, and opens when set to FAST.

If choke is operating okay, then probably some fuel slime/gunk inside the carb....

Thanks again guys! Ill report back tonight!