how do i put my smartdrive handle back on?

buellin745

Forum Newbie
Threads
My smartdrive was barely working so i removed the handle to check the cable and now it wont go back on. When i get it together the pin seems to pop out of the slot in the handle.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
My smartdrive was barely working so i removed the handle to check the cable and now it wont go back on. When i get it together the pin seems to pop out of the slot in the handle.

The were a number of variations of the SmartDRIVE control. Give me the serial number off the back upper edge of the mower deck (it is in the form of "MZZZ-1234567" and I can share some service details.

Is your mower an HRR (steel deck) or HRX (Nexite/composite "plastic" deck) model?

Doe the SmartDrive control have a slide control to adjust the position like this or not?

Attachments

• Smart Drive Control (adjustable) drawing.jpg
    Smart Drive Control (adjustable) drawing.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 143

buellin745

Forum Newbie
Threads
The were a number of variations of the SmartDRIVE control. Give me the serial number off the back upper edge of the mower deck (it is in the form of "MZZZ-1234567" and I can share some service details.

Is your mower an HRR (steel deck) or HRX (Nexite/composite "plastic" deck) model?

Doe the SmartDrive control have a slide control to adjust the position like this or not?

The Ser # is MZCG- 7237991 it has a steel deck and the handle assembly is not like the one pictured. Thanks for any help.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Ser # is MZCG- 7237991 it has a steel deck and the handle assembly is not like the one pictured. Thanks for any help.

Okay, here are the drawings I have for your mower; hope this helps.

FYI, there is an update kit available to convert the SmartDRIVE control to an adjustable version, with five different positions for the grip.

You can order it from any Honda dealer. Refer to Honda Lawn Mower Service Bulletin #75, "Smart Drive Grip Improvement" and the kit itself is part number 04401-VL0-B00 "Clutch Grip Kit" and the MSRP is $21.00. Find a dealer at this link:

Find a Honda Dealer

Attachments

• hrr216vka k3 handlebar.jpg
    hrr216vka k3 handlebar.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 123
  • hrr216vka k3 smart drive control.jpg
    hrr216vka k3 smart drive control.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 135

buellin745

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, here are the drawings I have for your mower; hope this helps.

FYI, there is an update kit available to convert the SmartDRIVE control to an adjustable version, with five different positions for the grip.

You can order it from any Honda dealer. Refer to Honda Lawn Mower Service Bulletin #75, "Smart Drive Grip Improvement" and the kit itself is part number 04401-VL0-B00 "Clutch Grip Kit" and the MSRP is $21.00. Find a dealer at this link:

Find a Honda Dealer

Thanks, Mine does not have a 4 piece grip only two. I will check out the new kit.

michapeadora

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've tried couple of times, but when I put together the lower and upper grip, the roller pin goes out of the slot in the grip. what you do to keep the roller pin in to the slot?

tianojoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've tried couple of times, but when I put together the lower and upper grip, the roller pin goes out of the slot in the grip. what you do to keep the roller pin in to the slot?

i'd love if someone had an answer to this... i am having the same issue. No throttle control makes cutting the grass pretty rough :(

gainestruk

Threads
If roller pin just lays in a slot one trick it to put grease on pin and Some in slot that will make it sticky and maby that will hold it till you get it together.

Falk3r

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, this pin is through a collar on the cable with tension. I relaxed the adjustment point as far as possible, but the tension on the cable puts an angle on the pin that allows me to fit it into the "back" half of the housing, but not possible to align it to the "front" half of the housing.

When clipping the halves together, the pin is pushed parallel to the slot and is not able to be pulled.