How did you get your first mower?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never paid more than $50 for any mower.

Most of my collection was free. The first piece I got was in 2000, when I was working as an auto mechanic in a small shop. The owner was going to throw the mower away, because it was getting harder and harder to start, and would stall. I replaced the carb/tank assy with one that had a primer bulb 10 years ago (after running it for a season on a carb rebuild). Still mow with that freebee to this day.

It was the snapper self-propelled I posted pics about last week.:biggrin:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never paid more than $50 for any mower.

Most of my collection was free. The first piece I got was in 2000, when I was working as an auto mechanic in a small shop. The owner was going to throw the mower away, because it was getting harder and harder to start, and would stall. I replaced the carb/tank assy with one that had a primer bulb 10 years ago (after running it for a season on a carb rebuild). Still mow with that freebee to this day.

It was the snapper self-propelled I posted pics about last week.:biggrin:

When you want to get rid of that one, I will happily accept it for free to spare you the bother of junking it....:biggrin:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you want to get rid of that one, I will happily accept it for free to spare you the bother of junking it....:biggrin:

I will gladly donate it to you for free......for a small $250 handling fee....then there's the shipping........:wink:

Stevie-Ray

Threads
People like you are the reason some companies go bankrupt and close...nobody is buying their products !!! :laughing: :laughing: I am jealous...in the past nine years I have spent close to 26 grand for mowers and parts and maintenance...:eek:
Tut tut, my friend! (I always wanted to say that.:biggrin:) My reverie will be short lived. As I move to my new house, I will have to purchase a riding mower. I've pretty much decided on either a Cub Cadet or a John Deere, just depends on what the guy where I'm going has at the time and of course, prices. Either way though, I'm going to be in for a bundle, but that's what happens when you go from a small lot to almost an acre and a half.:wink: It'll be an expense, but I'm sort of looking forward to it.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
that's what happens when you go from a small lot to almost an acre and a half.:wink: It'll be an expense, but I'm sort of looking forward to it.

You will like having the "opportunity" to mow more space ... with a larger mower... :smile:KennyV

SouthCentral

Threads
My parents bought it. I just called it mine. It was a rear bagger MTD with big wheels. Not the coolest looking mower but it got the job done.

Snapperfreak

Threads
when i was a kid i always wanted a snapper but my parents never bought one, too expensive. always had sears junk. so in the winter of 1997 my girlfriend (now wife) were at a home and garden show and there was a snapper dealer there. i was fond of the old red/white mowers from the '80s but i wanted new so i ordered a 21" 5hp self-propelled with upgraded "classic" bag with the z-closure. cost me about $400 after tax. perfect mower, still built well like the older ones before they stared loooking wierd like whats out there now. always kept that thing in the garage, always started on 2nd or 3rd pull. but a couple years ago i sold it because i wanted to go vintage and bought and sold several older snappers until i found the two i have now. both are good, clean solid commercial units, one with a wisconsin robin 4cycle 5hp and the other with a briggs 4 hp ic although i want to find a wisconsin robin 2 cycle to swap it out with. also found brand new old stock (white) bags for both, one z-closure one with door. i love my old snappers. will NEVER buy new again. but it was fun buying my first one new back then.

Attachments

• mowers021412 001.jpg
    mowers021412 001.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 18
  • mowers021412 004.jpg
    mowers021412 004.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 19

bwdbrn1

Threads
Bought my house back in the fall of '75 and used my father-in-laws for a while. Then went to a story we used to have, called Venture, anybody remember them? Spring of '76 and I didn't know anything about mowers, and didn't really want to then. They had some kind of mower on display, who knows what brand. All I can remember was it was candy apple red, with a white engine, handle and rear bag. Used that for several years until I got hard to start. Gave it to my brother-in-law who used it for several more years. Then a Snapper push, and probably a couple of others, but now my mower of choice is an 80s Honda HR214 that ran me all of $50.00. Oh, there's something like 13 or 14 vintage mowers out in the garage dating back to the 40s, 50s and 60s. They're just for fun.

Mad-Mike

Threads
Saved my pennies and bought my first in 1992 when I was 9!

It was a $110 Southland 20" basic push mower made by Southland Mower Corp in Selma Alabama, with a 3.5HP Briggs & Stratton Classic engine on it.

I had that mower almost 15 years before I basically gave it to the neighbors as I had a 22" Franken Murray-MTD that I really liked.

I bought it because we had an 80's Lawn-Boy 8125P that kept breaking down all the time as the engine-blade safety wire kept breaking on it, I later fixed that with a rotary switch & the tone knob off a Fender Stratocaster guitar. Mom said I had to buy my own mower because she was "teaching me about the value of a dollar". It worked.

SS16 diesel

Threads
My dad got me my first mower when I was 9 yeas old he got it to teach me about engines and transmissions and electrical and we have been collecting them for years I'm 14 now and I mad a diesel tractor I had fabricated all the mounting did all the wiring the only help I had was I needed a 28mm pulley to put on because it was a gen motor with a tapered shaft so I had a 1" bored out and my dad welded it on other wise I payed for all the parts and my grand father gave me the motor and the sears ss16 frame was laying around it works really good but my first tractor was a case 220 that has now Been restored new paint, rebuild the engine, smoke stack, etc I'm vary thank full for what my dad has done for me!!!!!!!