Honda Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Ht-r3009

Thanks for the help

My lawn mower won't start this season won't even make a clicking noise. Good battery, oil and gas levels there is something curious though. there is a hose or tube hanging from the out side of the tank that i wonder if was connected to a tube that's kind of under the carb area. I never noticed it before but it does have a kink in it , like it was bent (the hose from the fuel tank I mean) and it did have hanging electric tape on it. Also the tube from under the carb has red around the tip of it and looks like it should connect somewhere.

On most riding equipment, there's a seat switch that detects if there is an operator in the seat. Usually, the starter motor won't operate without an operator in the seat, or, in some cases, if the parking brake is OFF. There's also a switch on the PTO/blade engage lever that is part of the safety interlock and might prevent the engine from starting.

There is some pretty good troubleshooting sections in the factory shop manual, but they aren't written for do-it-yourselfers. Fore example, if the starter won't operate, it says to connect a known good 12V battery to the starter terminal and starter solenoid body, and use a multimeter to check for continuity. Not so easy if you've never messed with a riding mower before or have limited mechanical / electrical skills. Still, if you feel you want to try, you can get a shop manual from Honda direct a their eBay store at this link:

Honda Shop Manuals on eBay

The shop manual can be an invaluable resource with these old tractors and riders...just search for HT-R3009; free shipping as I recall on most manuals.

-Robert@Honda

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

rrockettman

Threads
Hi all.
This is a copy of my new member thread message. I hope you don't mind duplicate messages.:confused2:

Just joined from the UK.
I've got an early Honda HT3810 from about 1986 that I've had for 15 years and she's now showing her age. I use her to keep 6 acres of lumpy fields clean of nettles, fern and brambles so she's had quite a hard life and worn well considering how rough the work is.
In the last few years I've replaced the PTO clutch, starter armature and brushes, prop shaft damper, battery and had the deck welded back together, and new deck belts and blades.
The next job is to sort out the engine. It coughs and splutters when hot, then backfires and stops. It won't restart until it has cooled. I'm hoping it's the carb adjustment and not the ignition coil.
Anyone else had this problem and knows the fix?
Thanks in advance.
Russ.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
The next job is to sort out the engine. It coughs and splutters when hot, then backfires and stops. It won't restart until it has cooled. I'm hoping it's the carb adjustment and not the ignition coil.

Do you know if it is a UK-spec H3813, or was it imported from the USA or another location? I ask because it' quite common for the specifications and troubleshooting procedures to vary between different models. If it's a UK-spec model, best to contact Honda UK and see about getting a shop manual; this document typically has quite detailed troubleshooting procedures and can reduce the time spent trying to isolate a problem.

If it is a USA-spec tractor, you can get a shop manual from American Honda's eBay store at this link:

Honda HT3813 Service & Repair Manual on eBay

I'd start with the basics; when an engine stops, it's usually a lack of spark or fuel. In some cases, it could be a shut-down sensor, such as an oil pressure sender, that is malfunctioning. Try an isolate if it's due to no-spark or no-fuel first, and go from there. The H3813 can overheat and stall if the cylinder head gasket is blown or leaking, if the oil pump is not providing suitable pressure, or if the thermostat, thermoswitch, or water pump are not working correctly.

-Robert@Honda

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

rrockettman

Threads
Hi Robert. Thanks for your reply.
In answer to your Q's:
It is a UK model, a HT3810, 400cc single cylinder.
I replaced the spark plug and air filter but it made no difference to the spluttering when hot.
When I had the engine out to sort out the starter, I checked it over and serviced it. No leaks anywhere and good compression.
It always starts easily in the start position, so I don't think it is running too rich.
If I run it at very low revs it will keep going for an hour before spluttering to a halt. Any faster, through the rough stuff, and it takes about 20 mins on a warm day.
It is definately a heat related problem, that is why I'm leaning towards the carb. Is it easy to set the carb up after cleaning?
Any other ideas welcome.
Thanks.
Russ.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Robert. Thanks for your reply.
In answer to your Q's:
It is a UK model, a HT3810, 400cc single cylinder.
I replaced the spark plug and air filter but it made no difference to the spluttering when hot.
When I had the engine out to sort out the starter, I checked it over and serviced it. No leaks anywhere and good compression.
It always starts easily in the start position, so I don't think it is running too rich.
If I run it at very low revs it will keep going for an hour before spluttering to a halt. Any faster, through the rough stuff, and it takes about 20 mins on a warm day.
It is definately a heat related problem, that is why I'm leaning towards the carb. Is it easy to set the carb up after cleaning?
Any other ideas welcome.
Thanks.
Russ.

Before anything else, I suggest you get a copy of the correct shop manual. It has lots of details, flow charts, and illustrations to guide any mending jobs. As the unit is a UK model, then Honda UK is the place to start. Here is their contact page:

Contact Us | Honda (UK)

The can help you get a shop manual and locate a nearby dealer who can help with parts, procedures, etc.

If for whatever reason you can't obtain a manual from Honda UK, American Honda offers USA-spec documentation that should be very close. See the Honda eBay link in my earlier posting.

I do think you are correct about a fuel issue; thermal-related symptoms are rarely associated with ignition problems.

-Robert@Honda

Caveat: I work for Honda but the preceding was my opinion alone.

Last edited:

menauhant

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, Thanks for the welcome. I have two Honda Lawn Mowers one is 214HC model and it has issues, before I saw this forum I posted the issues. I don't know if all 214s were made in Japan but mine was. The other mower is newer about 6 yrs old both are push models, I like to mow at my speed and it one less thing to go wrong.

ademercedes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. Just bought/rescued a honda hr21 mower from elderly lady who had stored it in a damp Blackpool (UK) garage for 5 years gathering dust/cobwebs. Fuelled it up, checked oil and wow, it started after 7 pulls! I have heard Hondas were good starters and this proves it. Will now service and see how she fares over the coming months.
Don't ever forget, behind the clouds its always a sunny day. Happy days.

jackthemower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I'm restoring my honda hr214 lawn mower, click the link to see my blog. If anybody has any questions about the 214 or the gxv120 engine, shoot me a line and I'll help if I can.

Jack

QRP

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone, my name is Q i'm new here. I feel like the luckiest guy in the U.S......:smile: I just bought two (2) HRX217HXA for $225 on Craigslist. One starts right up, runs and cuts like a champ the other needs some work. I've always wanted a Honda mower but simply couldn't afford them. Got two of em for less then what I paid for my Toro. I'm glad I found this forum cause i'm going to need help with fixin the other one.

Scumbag242

Threads
Hello,

I just purchased a new Honda lawn mower for my new house. I am new to working on my own yard and I will appreciate every bit of advice I get from here. I started a new thread, asking a few questions about the different models, but I probably should have started here. Below is a picture of my newly acquired Echo Weekwhacker and Honda Mower. I have such a small yard that a leaf blower is not realistic at this point.

IMAG0312.jpg
[/IMG]