Honda HRR216-K5-VKA Smart Drive and Transmission Problem

GAVolunteer

Threads
  • / Honda HRR216-K5-VKA Smart Drive and Transmission Problem
Honda HRR216-K5-VKA SN MZCG 7812708

Does anyone know the proper procedure to assemble the Smart Drive Control?

I'm working on a a friend's father's mower. I do not know if anyone has worked on it before me.
Problem: The self-propelled the Smart Drive will not engage the transmission when pushed down.

What I've done so far.

1. I took all of the panels underneath the mower so I could access the transmission and clutch cable.
2. I removed the "bottom" of the transmission and drained the oil. In looking at the gears and clutch plate, everything appears to be ok.
3. When I manually push the transmission Arm Control that the clutch cable is attached to, the clutch plate in the transmission engages correctly.
4. I tried adjusting the nut on the clutch cable. It did not help.
5. I then took apart the Smart Drive (attached to the handle). I found that part of the white upper bracket cover was broken (where the select lever meets the bracket cover). See attached picture.

Old Upper Bracket Cover Broken Cover.JPG

6. I ordered a new upper and lower bracket cover. I also ordered a new clutch cable, thinking that the old one might have "stretched".
7. I installed the new clutch cable. I also assembled the Smart Drive. I placed the "pin" in the "hole" of the connector of the clutch cable. I snapped together the upper and lower parts of the clutch cable, trying to make sure the pin fit properly in the slots in the upper connector and the slot in the lower connector.
8. Nothing happens. When I rotate the the smart drive control, the cable does not activate the control arm of the transmission. It appears the pin is not moving the cable.
9. I took apart the smart drive again. I took a screw driver, inserted it in the hole of the clutch cable connector and manually pushed the clutch cable to the right. The clutch cable moves the control arm and the clutch plate in the transmission completely engages. So the cable is good.

So, I'm pretty sure that the problem is either in how I am assembling the smart drive or there might be a missing piece (I've checked the parts diagram and all the parts appear to be there.)

Does anyone know the proper procedure or "tricks" on assembling the smart drive so that the pin engages the clutch cable? I'm at a loss.

Thanks.

Clutch Cable and Pin Clutch Cable and Pin.jpg

Assembled Upper Cover Assembled Upper Cover.jpg

Bottom Smart Drive Contol Cover and Selector Bottom Smart Drive Contol Cover and Select.jpg

Transmission Not Engaged TRansmission Not Engaged.JPG

Transmission Manually Engaged Transmission Manually Engaged.JPG

GAVolunteer

Threads
OEM Parts : CyclePartsNation Honda Parts Nation great source for parts, this website contact robert@honda & send him a private message concerning problem, he'll be more than happy to give you the necessary information.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will.

I found instructions on how to adjust the Smart Drive Clutch Cable. I believe this is probably my problem. Here is a link that has instructions at the bottom of the page on how to adjust the Smart Drive for various Honda mowers. Maybe this will be helpful to other people. http://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers/maintenance-and-support

Here is a picture of the instructions: Cable_Adjust.gif

GAVolunteer

Threads
Smart Drive Cable Check/Adjustment

• Cable Check
  • With the engine off, use the multi-position adjuster to set the Smart Drive control in its lowest position.

Cable Adjustment
  • With the engine off, loosen the adjuster jam nut.
  • Without pushing the Smart Drive control, pull the lawn mower backwards to check wheel resistance.
  • If no wheel resistance exists, mark the adjuster and TIGHTEN the adjuster one turn at a time until the wheels lock-up when pulling rearward.
  • Turn the adjuster in the LOOSEN direction 8 complete revolutions (for K8 and later; MZCG-8400001 and later). For K5 through K7, do 4 complete revolutions.
  • Tighten the jam nut to lock the adjuster in place.

Cable_Adjust.gif

GAVolunteer

Threads
Update. Transmission still not engaging. Smart Drive only moves the clutch cable シ?

I assembled the Smart Drive. I then went through the procedure listed above to adjust the clutch cable. When you turn the adjustment nut counterclockwise, the control arm on the transmission begins to close (the cable moves the arm from right to left) and the clutch inside the transmission begins to close. The adjustment procedure closes the clutch completely. You are then to back off the nut a specified number of turns. There should be a small amount of space between the clutch and the gears so that when the Smart Drive is depressed, the clutch completely engages.

Transmission Transmission Almost Engaged.JPG

Unfortunately, that is not happening. When I press down on the Smart Drive "Paddles", the paddles rotate but barely move the cable. The Transmission Control Arm barely moves. As a result the clutch will not engage in the transmission. And when I press down the Smart Drive, it does not want to "spring back". It will stay in the down position. Until I manually rotate it back up.

The spring on the Transmission Control Arm is putting tension on the Control Arm. When I manually move the arm, it will spring right back.

I'm pretty sure I have the Pin inserted correctly in the clutch cable connector inside the Smart Drive. It rotates, but does want seem to move the clutch cable.

Any suggestions?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Update. Transmission still not engaging.
Any suggestions?

You've got mail. Take a look at the pages I've sent you and double-check what you've done so far.

GAVolunteer

Threads
You've got mail. Take a look at the pages I've sent you and double-check what you've done so far.

I received the instructions on how to assemble the Smart Drive. Thanks for all of your help, Robert.

The "trick" was to completely loosen the clutch cable, wedge a small block of wood (or screw driver) between the Transmission Control Arm and the underside of the deck so the Control Arm was pushed towards the transmission. This created slack in the cable.

Then, at the Smart Drive I used a screw driver to pull the slack cable to the right. This enabled me to put the pin in the proper place. When I put the Upper and Lower Bracket Covers over the Pin, the Pin went in the slots correctly. I put on the Smart Drive Paddles. I then adjusted the cable per the instructions above.

However ? when I started the mower and use the smart drive to engaged the transmission, the more barely moves. There is not enough power or torque to propel the mower. If I lift the back of the mower up, the axle moves and the wheels spin. But on the ground the mower barely moves. I'm 95% sure that the transmission control arm is completely engaging the gears inside of the transmission.

What would cause the wheels to spin when lifted up but not enough power to move the mower?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
What would cause the wheels to spin when lifted up but not enough power to move the mower?

Possibly a worn/damaged internal part (clutch); here's how to check:

hrr%20trans_zpszoyig5xp.jpg

GAVolunteer

Threads
Possibly a worn/damaged internal part (clutch); here's how to check:

Robert,

That is the problem. THe Control Arm makes contact with the transmission case.

Here is what I think happened. The transmission wore out, the wheels would not turn so the owner kept pressing the Smart Drive harder and harder until he broke the Upper Bracket Cover which caused the transmission control arm not to engage. So, when I got it, the broken smart drive masked the real problem of a bad transmission. Replacing the Upper Bracket Cover and Smart Drive Control did not solve the problem.

If the owner decides to replace the transmission, what other parts should be inspected/replaced? Bearings?

In looking at the parts diagram, The Transmission Kit (06200-VH7-305) for my serial number (7812708) includes the new clutch cable which I have already purchased. Is there a part number for just the transmission for my serial number?

Honda HRR2165VKA SN MZCG 7812708
06200-VH7-305 TRANSMISSION KIT | Use up to Frame SN 7819952.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
In looking at the parts diagram, The Transmission Kit (06200-VH7-305) for my serial number (7812708) includes the new clutch cable which I have already purchased. Is there a part number for just the transmission for my serial number?

Honda HRR2165VKA SN MZCG 7812708
06200-VH7-305 TRANSMISSION KIT | Use up to Frame SN 7819952.

I spoke with a parts clerk and she tells me there was a running change to the cable end and control arm at s/n 7819953, and any earlier s/n units would need to use the kit part number for sure. This will ensure you get a new trans. with a matching cable.