Honda Autochoke FAQ

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the full Honda mower with the GCV160 engine I got from Home Depot. It's been a great mower so far and I'm just starting my third year/season using it. I've always wondered about the auto-choke and the engine in general as far as warming it up. After starting it, do I need to let the engine warm up for a bit or can I just start cutting grass immediately? I usually give it a 10-20sec run time before I start cutting, so is that enough? Thanks!

Always a good idea to let the engine run a full minute or so to get all the way warmed up. The engine RPM will stabilize and you'll have full power and torque ready to go.

Does you mower have the blade clutch (yellow button) or do the blades turn as soon as you start the engine?

BOOMER_SOONER

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm having the hard start problems as described. I am wondering if I should just go and buy a new carb or verify if my model has any recalls. I didn't find my model listed however I figured I would let the experts see if I am missing something. I am going to get this mower running good again. It's having start issues, but when hot runs decent, and it does seem to have a little issue with the self driving mechanism.

HRX2172HXA
MAGA-1657249

Thanks in advance,

BOOMER_SOONER

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm having the hard start problems as described. I am wondering if I should just go and buy a new carb or verify if my model has any recalls. I didn't find my model listed however I figured I would let the experts see if I am missing something. I am going to get this mower running good again. It's having start issues, but when hot runs decent, and it does seem to have a little issue with the self driving mechanism.

HRX2172HXA
MAGA-1657249

Thanks in advance,

BOOMER_SOONER

Your mower is fitted with a manual choke, not the automatic version of newer models, some of which had choke issues. You can easily inspect the choke and rule it out as the problem...just remove the air cleaner / filter and have a helper move the throttle lever to CHOKE, and confirm the plate is closing all the way.

A new carb for your mower is quite inexpensive, and you just need a 10mm socket to remove it. Google part number 16100-Z0Y-812 to find a dealer selling one online, or use this link to locate your local Honda dealer.

Find A Honda Dealer

I'd also suggest replacing the gaskets, just a precaution, as they may have gotten a bit crusty or damaged since new; use this site (have your serial number hands) to look 'em up for your mower:

Honda Power Equipment, Engines and Marine Factory Parts Lookup

AFA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can anyone tell me what grease is used in thermowax housing?...Told it is hard to remove and photos show it with some grease on it....mine was bone dry and thermowax came out very easily

DC1071

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a slightly used Honda HRR2168VKA S#MZCG-8562286 and it worked great for the last two years, and has started having problems starting end of last season. I noticed the choke was not closed, removed the carb and externally cleaned everything linkage etc. reassembled it and it worked a couple of cuts then is doing the same thing this spring. started fine for the first cut but this weekend I used a touch of carb cleaner to get it started so I could cut the grass, and after noticed the choke about half open. I let it cool an hour and it never moved. I'm pretty sure it's out of warranty. is there some way to get the updated parts or a part #?

Dave

gstokes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I am having idling problems with my Honda GCV160, this seems like a auto choke issue. The idle revs up and down at start up for about a minute and then dies. This is very consistent. The mower is only a year old. I replaced the spark plug but that made no difference. When i stored the mower for the winter i ran the fuel very low and then turned off fuel and ran mower until it ran out of gas. I filled with fresh gas 2 weeks ago so i don't think it is a fuel problem. I have been using the same fuel with my pressure washer and it runs great.

Can you tell me if getting this fixed would be covered by warranty?

Model HRR216K9VKAA
Serial # MZCG-9741642
GCV160LAO MY1 R280
GJARA 6663327

Thanks,

Greg

philman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I bought a Honda lawnmower 2 years ago but just started using it last fall ( i have another cheapo walmart model I have been using for over 15 years). Its auto propel/and auto choke:

Model: HRR216VKA
Serial#: MZCG-8970458

I used it two times last fall and I took it out last week, added new gas and it wont start. I took out my old 15 year old Walmart model (its a MTD with a Brigg engine) and it started in one pull with stale gas from last year, and I always left the MTD mower out in the shed. I am very disappointed at Honda needless to say (I paid $399 at HD).

I know the Honda Mower I is just out of warranty. Is there anyway Honda can fix it for free if not how much doest it cost to replace auto-choke?

Thanks
Phil

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I purchased a slightly used Honda HRR2168VKA S#MZCG-8562286 and it worked great for the last two years, and has started having problems starting end of last season. I noticed the choke was not closed, removed the carb and externally cleaned everything linkage etc. reassembled it and it worked a couple of cuts then is doing the same thing this spring. started fine for the first cut but this weekend I used a touch of carb cleaner to get it started so I could cut the grass, and after noticed the choke about half open. I let it cool an hour and it never moved. I'm pretty sure it's out of warranty. is there some way to get the updated parts or a part #?

Dave

Dave: Drop me a PM with your full email address; I'll send you a copy of the bulletin and it has a full parts list. Google the part numbers to find a Honda dealer selling online, or use this link to patronize your local Honda dealer:

Find A Honda Dealer

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know the Honda Mower I is just out of warranty. Is there anyway Honda can fix it for free if not how much doest it cost to replace auto-choke?

Thanks
Phil

Honda pays the dealer 1/2 hour of their published labor rate to do this job under warranty. So, if they charge $60 per hour, they should only charge you $30 in labor costs, but understand Honda has no control over what independent dealers charge for service work.

The parts needed (choke assembly, thermowax) will run about $25 retail price.

brisbanex2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I have HRX2175VKA serial no: MAGA-2446616. It was never used since today. I started nicely, warmed-up, worked for few minutes - no problems, but engine is not starting when hot. After long cool-down time it is back working well but problem comes back. Spark plug is fine, it might be auto-choke issue? Is my mower still on warranty?

Thanks a lot!
Regards