Honda Autochoke FAQ

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Robert,

Can you check it up for my Honda mower? Thanks in advance.

Model: HRR2169VKA
Sr. No.: MZCG-8696038

Your serial number IS in the range of mowers that MIGHT have an autochoke issue. Since your mower still has warranty remaining (3/10/2017) I'd get it up to a Honda dealer and have it inspected. If the autochoke is found to be defective, it would normally be replaced at no charge.

A few things to keep in mind:

Honda's warranty only covers defective parts, so if the problem is due to old, stale fuel clogging the carburetor, or a dirty, torn air filter, those are not defective parts, and such repairs would be out-of-pocket. Be sure you discuss with your service manager what is and what is not covered, and have the call you before authorizing any repair.

Just because your mower may have an autochoke issue does not absolutely mean it is the actual cause of the starting problem.

This is the most-busy time of the year for mower dealers...everybody wants their mower repaired but usually there is a wait involved due to the overwhelming demand for service. Many dealers will naturally put customers who bought mowers from there at the front of the line, and customers that bought elsewhere at the rear. That said, if they are a Honda dealer, they are fully authorized to perform warranty-related services to all Honda customers, including those purchased from other dealers (or Home Depot).

Are you still near ZIP code 02889? Here are the closest dealers:

American Lawnmower Service, Inc.
870 Dyer Ave
Cranston, RI 02920-6605
(401) 946-2332

All Outdoors Power Equipment
4060 Tower Hill Rd
Wakefield, RI 02879-2262
(401) 789-7997

Steve's Marine
294 Market St
Warren, RI 02885-2609
(401) 245-7673

Tom's Lawn & Garden Equipment, Inc.
1055 East Main Rd
Portsmouth, RI 02871
(401) 683-0002

Howard Johnson, Inc.
1978 Kingstown Rd
Peace Dale, RI 02879-1607
(401) 789-9375

Use this link to find other dealers:

Find A Honda Dealer

asit3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Robert.

I am in Burlington, Ontario, Canada.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks Robert.

I am in Burlington, Ontario, Canada.

Honda Customer Relations
180 Honda Blvd.
Markham, ON
L6C 0H9

Toll Free: 1-888-9-HONDA-9 (1-888-946-6329)
Hours: 8:00 am to 7:30 pm Mon to Fri (EST)

PD2

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the choke is stuck open and it's hard to start but then runs fine, take off the air filter and spray some carb cleaner inside the carb through the air/choke hole. This will get it started and some cleaner doesn't hurt since the jets are so small they get clogged easily.

John Davies

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert I recently contacted you regarding the Honda choke on my mountfield mower made in the UK. My engine number was on your Honda bulletin so I had the linkage replaced and it now works fine. Did Honda sell faulty chokes to uk manufacturers? I am pursuing this with mountfield. Thanks for your help. John

spiffy926

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I am trying to fix a GCV160 with an auto-choke. Currently the mower starts no problem, but the choke will stay on. I have let it run trying to heat up the thermo-wax but after a minute or so the choke still remained on with black smoke pouring out of the engine so I called it quits. I had the carb off for cleaning, and tried heating the thermo-wax with a propane torch and it does extend when it heats.
When I start the mower I can reach my finger under the carburetor cover and flip the choke control arm manually with my finger, and the choke will disengage and the mower will run perfectly.
If i then try to re-start the mower when it is warm, it will run no problem so that tells me that eventually the thermo-wax does extend and disengage the choke.
It sounds to me like my thermo-wax is just lethargic and does not disengage the choke quick enough. How long does the mower usually have to run to disengage the choke?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi, I am trying to fix a GCV160 with an auto-choke.

How long does the mower usually have to run to disengage the choke?

Depends on ambient temps. On a warm day (above 80 F), no more than 5 five minutes.

Is this Honda GCV160 engine on a Honda mower, or a non-Honda mower?

Reply with the engine's serial number if on a non-Honda mower, OR, if on a Honda mower, the serial number off the back of the mower deck.

I can tell you if either the engine or mower has warranty, and if you'll include your ZIP code, where a dealer can be located near you.

spiffy926

Forum Newbie
Threads
Actually, looks like someone had tried to set the engine speed too high by putting the governor spring into the second hole on the governor arm.
So, it actually wasn't a problem with the choke but rather the engine seemed to be stumbling due to the increased spring pressure on the governor arm.
As soon as the engine was able to get moving in higher rpms, it would run fine and the choke functions as it should. I could give it a nudge on the governor arm, or could manually open the choke plate, both would help it get going.
But I ended up re-setting the governor spring where it should be and it starts up properly and the choke is working fine.
I guess that's what I get for letting knuckleheads work on the machine. The owner was complaining it didn't have enough power under load, so I guess someone decided to set the speed higher instead of giving the carb a once-over.

timlinden

Threads
My HondaHRX217 is in the list affected. Last year I had a problem, brought it to a dealer, and it was fixed under warranty. The same problem is now happening again.

Is the replacement part just the 16620-Z8D-305 or does the control assembly (16600-Z8D-840) also need to be replaced? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if they already replaced both, why am I having a problem again.

buffettck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Depends on ambient temps. On a warm day (above 80 F), no more than 5 five minutes.

Is this Honda GCV160 engine on a Honda mower, or a non-Honda mower?

I have the full Honda mower with the GCV160 engine I got from Home Depot. It's been a great mower so far and I'm just starting my third year/season using it. I've always wondered about the auto-choke and the engine in general as far as warming it up. After starting it, do I need to let the engine warm up for a bit or can I just start cutting grass immediately? I usually give it a 10-20sec run time before I start cutting, so is that enough? Thanks!