Here is a good one you guys to figure out.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
See what you started Star, a never solved thread.

TT398

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, you stumped a lot of folks. Stop the tease. Reveal the secret fix. :)

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Man that Slick 50 really works. Won't idle below 2500rpm.... Extra 16hp, having to run a NASCAR restrictor plate.

Slick50ClassicET_720x.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well, you stumped a lot of folks. Stop the tease. Reveal the secret fix. :)
Well it was revealed to those know had do proper carburetor modifications. It down to a factory induced restriction in the metering of the fuel causing the engine to run extremely lean; therefore, the fuel load was igniting premature (pre-ignition). If I post the the complete details there are DIYers out there that will trying it on every carburetor screwing many of them up using these micro drill bits For them it would be better just to install the correct OEM carburetor. I do get tired of hearing that Nikki carburetor is one of the hardest carburetor to repair when it is one of the easiest.

Man that Slick 50 really works. Won't idle below 2500rpm.... Extra 16hp, having to run a NASCAR restrictor plate.
Now you are only trying to make fun of the problem.

Maybe I should never posted anything about this for the real mechanics to learn from such a problem. Yes it hard not to get distracted and keep going the same old worn path. Having an open mind when approaching is key to troubleshooting.

See what you started Star, a never solved thread.
Oh a suggested solution was finally got very close to heart of the problem. Post #12. For mechanics that know what they doing they know what I did when I resized a under sized jet.

The problem here I see is no one fully read the thread. Without reading everything it like troubleshooting with only half a mind working. You may not ever see that red herring as it is on another path.

It like the Husqvarna YTH2348 steering tie rod replacement I did last week. If I just keep trying to get a wrench on the backside of the sector gear I would not have realize they Husqvarna redesigned the area. What was once a 30 minute job is now a 1-1/2 hour job as the deck has to come off and the steering completely disassemble just because put a plastic cap bushing over the nut. So glad I brought the mower into the shop as it took a large impact to disassemble the sector gear assembly just to get that cap off. As always you get a face full of dirt when working under a mower.

CaptFerd

Threads
Really confusing thread about what the initial problem was compared to the actual repair. So by what you are saying is that the sole problem is the missing restrictor plate and that the the nikki carb was good if they had cleaned and repaired it properly. China knockoffs need to be drilled and redesigned to work on this engine even before and after the missing part is replaced. I think that it would have been a better thread to discuss this issue than to make it a guessing game on what was actually wrong. Would love to hear more about the StarTech Improved Chinese Nikki knockoff. This would have to be a better choice for a paying customer than the original part coming from a top quality 40 year experience lawn mower mechanic.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The whole point of the thread was to make it into a training exercise. It was to get fellow techs to learn to think outside the box; otherwords, don't get so focus that you miss the real problem. We must be able to troubleshoot without just throwing parts and hope we hit on the solution by guessing.

This guessing just what many shops in my area are doing ending up costing the customer more as they charge for unnecessary parts. And forget if they need to troubleshoot an electrical problem.

The mower in this thread was sold by a local repair shop. It was in a mess from the get go. My customer did make the mistake of buying the mower and should have return it when the very first lie was told about it. He was told it had a Kohler engine and it had a Briggs when I raised the hood. It was acting up so bad I had the customer return it for the other shop to straight it out. The shop put on this junk clone carburetor and replaced the deck. Neither of which solved the problems I had the customer return the mower for.

That just the tip of the iceberg. After I got the engine problem resolve, the mower had three flat tires, dry rotted. Mower deck shakes badly. Bent blades, bad idler pulley, both spindle pulleys are bent, and the blade brakes are working. When you have brought a used rider for $800 and then having to spend another $300 on it just to get it to an usable state is not fun or right.

Anyway I get the mower out this coming week after the deck parts get here. Didn't have the blade brakes in stock.

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think that the thread is a good indicator that we need to go outside and enjoy the warmer weather.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I think that the thread is a good indicator that we need to go outside and enjoy the warmer weather.
Yes, It is Spring cleaning time and a good time to go fishing. I'm off to nursery to check out the new perennials for my yard. And stop stop by a place to see if I can get a couple daffodil bulbs of one I don't have.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am needing to buy a new garden tiller, which is proving to be very difficult.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yelp a lot of the new ones are just junk that why I keep my TB Horse in good repair.