HELP PLEASE FROZEN MOTOR!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Have you tried spinning the flywheel by hand? check to see if the blade moves too,.

chowchow

Threads
No i havent tried that yet i have to remove the new recoiler and the rivits to do that. I'm just disappointed i kept this mower going for soooo long i hate to get rid of her. I've been looking at new mowers and they mostly all look very cheaply made with alot of plastic just garbage. It seems you have to spend like 500+ to get anything halfway decent. I might just put some more money into this to see if i can get it to work again it might be worth it in the long run i just dont know.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
That's odd the the new Briggs recoil came with rivets, the new Briggs recoils I usually get come with Nut and bolt.

chowchow

Threads
Lol my mower is from 1999 that im trying to fix its not the new ones, i was saying that the new ones i was looking at looked cheaply made compared to mine. Have you heard of a crank shaft just breaking by pulling it 1 time? I used it three days ago and the mower worked great i just dont get this.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
No i haven't, it's a very odd deal.

chowchow

Threads
I just had one more thing to say and i dont think this should matter but this all happened right after i did my oil change. I bought some full synthetic 10w30 engine oil it was penzoil ultra synthetic and i tipped the mower onto its side and did a usual oil change and let it drain for 5 min then i put the new oil into it. After it was filled up to the proper line i went to pull the starter cord and thats when this entire thing went south and the mower wouldnt start and people say my crank shaft is broken. This couldnt have anything to do with anything right? Just a coincidence right?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I just had one more thing to say and i dont think this should matter but this all happened right after i did my oil change. I bought some full synthetic 10w30 engine oil it was penzoil ultra synthetic and i tipped the mower onto its side and did a usual oil change and let it drain for 5 min then i put the new oil into it. After it was filled up to the proper line i went to pull the starter cord and thats when this entire thing went south and the mower wouldnt start and people say my crank shaft is broken. This couldnt have anything to do with anything right? Just a coincidence right?
Have you tried pulling it with the spark plug out?

chowchow

Threads
Have you tried pulling it with the spark plug out?
Yes i did try and the new recoiler i put on still wont move with the plug out. I tried spraying penetrating oil into the plug hole thinking my engine froze and let that sit for a few hours but thats not the case it has to be the flywheel/clutch ratchet.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well there's always hiring a lawn crew. You have no tools to fix anything. Sounds like you are in a tight spot.

slomo

Last edited:

keakar

Threads
My friend said since there is no compression when i put my finger over the spark plug hole and spin the blade that yes my crank shaft is broken. I dont get it i used the mower the other day to cut my entire lawn. Then yesterday all i did was change the oil then i went to start it up and pulled it 1 time and this happened HOW? How can a crank shaft break by me trying to pull it one time? I'm amazed are crank shafts that easily broken or can crank shafts deteriorate after 21 years?
ya its very strange but if i were to guess i say a tiny fracture finally let go over time, maybe at some point you hit something to fracture it but it never completely separated until now. i just bought a twin cylinder the guy said he was cutting grass with it last week when it stopped like the key was turned off and would never restart for him. he had a mechanic friend look at it and was told neither cylinder has compression. i find that near impossible both cylinders fail completely at the same time in the middle of cutting grass but i suspect its a valve train failure more then bad engine for the one i just bought.

but i must emphasize im not familiar with your particular engine, and you never gave us any pictures of it, so im speaking in general terms about all engines

one thing for certain, if its a push mower then the blade and shaft should not spin free and easy, you should feel the engine compression stroke as you turn it. your friend was right, pull the plug and put your finger over the hole and as you turn the blade, you should feel a noticeable suction and exhaust pressure coming from the plug hole.

if its a 2 stroke motor they have reeds that can be an issue with compression, but i dont think they still have many 2 stroke mowers in use today