Gravely/Ariens Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

NeverGiveUp

Threads
Thanks Djdicetn, I am in South West Florida. Its been really nice but I have yet to mow this season. :rolleyes: Your right about it looking like the PT152, the only difference I guess is the seat and the size of the tires and trans. Mine has the 3200 and the 152 has the 3400 transaxle, I think. I am more interested in your light kit:wink: The fact that I could mow at night and not have to deal with Florida's July and August sun is very cool. My first time using a Gravely back in 06 sold me on Gravely. My wife had one to use on her 3 acres when we met. The rest as they say is history. Her dad has one (1940's orange colored one) that you walk behind that he still uses to cut down the garden at the end of season. Cheers

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks Djdicetn, I am in South West Florida. Its been really nice but I have yet to mow this season. :rolleyes: Your right about it looking like the PT152, the only difference I guess is the seat and the size of the tires and trans. Mine has the 3200 and the 152 has the 3400 transaxle, I think. I am more interested in your light kit:wink: The fact that I could mow at night and not have to deal with Florida's July and August sun is very cool. My first time using a Gravely back in 06 sold me on Gravely. My wife had one to use on her 3 acres when we met. The rest as they say is history. Her dad has one (1940's orange colored one) that you walk behind that he still uses to cut down the garden at the end of season. Cheers

NeverGiveUp,
I'm in the process of measuring, etc. and should get the light kit installed in the next couple of weeks. I'll be sure to post back and share the experience(and the make/model#/part# details I used).

ghessler26

Threads
Gravely makes a light kit, part number 79202700. List price is $125.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gravely makes a light kit, part number 79202700. List price is $125.

ghessler26,

Yeah, I knew about the Gravely light kit, but I have spent about $45 thus far on a 55watt halogen automotive off-road light kit, wiring kit, LED rocker switch and mounting hardware. And the light kit came with wiring so I think I will be taking the $14.99 wiring kit back(although it's real nice and includes a relay, which the light kit didn't...th light kit just included an in-line fuse). I won't be sure until I get into the installation. For as much as I will mow after dark $125 was just a bit pricey.

NeverGiveUp

Threads
ghessler26,

Yeah, I knew about the Gravely light kit, but I have spent about $45 thus far on a 55watt halogen automotive off-road light kit, wiring kit, LED rocker switch and mounting hardware. And the light kit came with wiring so I think I will be taking the $14.99 wiring kit back(although it's real nice and includes a relay, which the light kit didn't...th light kit just included an in-line fuse). I won't be sure until I get into the installation. For as much as I will mow after dark $125 was just a bit pricey.

I look forward to your pics and report. I think I am going to set mine up with one as well.:biggrin:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I look forward to your pics and report. I think I am going to set mine up with one as well.:biggrin:

NeverGiveUp,

Well, I goterdun!!! Ended up costing me a total of $36.72 plus tax and some misc materials for wire routing & securing(nylon wire clamps & screws and nylon cable ties). I'll post pictures of the light kit and rocker switch below and here are the details of the materials, including the installation materials:
1)Blazer "Baja Tough" Driving Light Kit(55watt Halogen) Part#DF1088B-$19.99 which includes the necessary wiring and hardware for installation.
2)AutoCraft 30amp Rocker Switch(Red LED) Part#84840-$8.49
Both of the above purchased at Advance Auto Parts
3)Scotch(3M) Outdoor Mounting Tape(Two-sided adhesive tape holds up to 5lbs)-$4.27
4)Liquid Nails Adhesive(Home Projects For Extreme Temperature And Conditions) Part#LN-201-$3.97
Both of the above purchased at WalMart. The light kit came with mounting screws, but the best place to mount these lights was on the front of the gas tanks on each side just above the rear tires. Even though the plastic gas tanks are pretty thick I didn't want to take any chances. I cut the Scotch Adhesive tape to fit the inside of the light bracket(two pieces and two layers) and applied a small amount of the Liquid Nails on the light bracket, mounted the first two tape pieces to the bracket, applied a small amount of the Liquid Nail to that and applied the second set of pieces to the first pieces. Then I applied a small amount of Liquid Nail to the second layer of tape and pressed/mounted to the mower. I know this may sound a little strange....but it looks GREAT and it would take a crowbar to get those lights off my Gravely!!!!! I will post pics below of the light kit & rocker switch(drilled a hole in the plate where alll of the controls are at for the mower and it mounted easily).
Once I have a chance, I will take some pictures of the Gravely with the lights mounted and post them. I think you'll agree it looks like a professional installation!!

Attachments

• DSC03290.jpg
    DSC03290.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC03289.jpg
    DSC03289.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

boilermaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a problem with my Gravely1640. I bought used a few years back and i had to replace the battery, starter solenoid, ignition switch ,fuel pump, both draw straws ,all fuel lines and cleaned the carburetor several times. Then was dependable for a while . Last year i had to replace the spindles and blades, installed new belts too. Last year near the end of season i started to have trouble with the right side hydro drive unit. The longer that i mowed the less the right side would keep up with the left, until finally would not back up and barely go forward. Next day would start off great for a while then like crap again. I have searched till i am cross eyed and haven't found out how to fix( other than spend $$$). I do my own repairs, always have, and will this time too. I just need to talk to someone who has done this repair before and can offer some helpful insight,a parts breakdown, and a source of parts.I hope someone can at least point me in the right direction....

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello boilermaker & WELCOME to LMF...
That is a hydro gear transaxle, get the numbers off the main assembly and you can get a LOT of information directly from HydroGear...
It looks like you have replaced a lot of parts & pieces on that mower, I hope your only replacing bad parts... :smile:KennyV

boilermaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
When i went to look at the Gravely the first time, it had to be started with jumper cables and a screwdriver across the solenoid. I got it at a good price, but it took a while to get all the bugs out. I even had to slime the tires, had to remove wheels and turn on there sides so the slime would reach all the tires inside. After i got it dependable and while cutting grass the brush and shrubs would make the left side gas cap unscrew itself. Cured that problem by drilling a small hole in the side of the cap and tying it off with a safety wire. It turned out i should have bought a new mower(less down time but more money). I have the drive unit out, oil drained and the covers off now. The old oil looks milky but there was no signs of any leaks. I have cleaned the filter and the covers and tomorrow i will examine it some more.If you or anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Last edited:

NeverGiveUp

Threads
NeverGiveUp,

Well, I goterdun!!! Ended up costing me a total of $36.72 plus tax and some misc materials for wire routing & securing(nylon wire clamps & screws and nylon cable ties). I'll post pictures of the light kit and rocker switch below and here are the details of the materials, including the installation materials:
1)Blazer "Baja Tough" Driving Light Kit(55watt Halogen) Part#DF1088B-$19.99 which includes the necessary wiring and hardware for installation.
2)AutoCraft 30amp Rocker Switch(Red LED) Part#84840-$8.49
Both of the above purchased at Advance Auto Parts
3)Scotch(3M) Outdoor Mounting Tape(Two-sided adhesive tape holds up to 5lbs)-$4.27
4)Liquid Nails Adhesive(Home Projects For Extreme Temperature And Conditions) Part#LN-201-$3.97
Both of the above purchased at WalMart. The light kit came with mounting screws, but the best place to mount these lights was on the front of the gas tanks on each side just above the rear tires. Even though the plastic gas tanks are pretty thick I didn't want to take any chances. I cut the Scotch Adhesive tape to fit the inside of the light bracket(two pieces and two layers) and applied a small amount of the Liquid Nails on the light bracket, mounted the first two tape pieces to the bracket, applied a small amount of the Liquid Nail to that and applied the second set of pieces to the first pieces. Then I applied a small amount of Liquid Nail to the second layer of tape and pressed/mounted to the mower. I know this may sound a little strange....but it looks GREAT and it would take a crowbar to get those lights off my Gravely!!!!! I will post pics below of the light kit & rocker switch(drilled a hole in the plate where alll of the controls are at for the mower and it mounted easily).
Once I have a chance, I will take some pictures of the Gravely with the lights mounted and post them. I think you'll agree it looks like a professional installation!!

Djdice,
I think thats pretty awesome that you did that for under 50.00. Can't wait to see her in action. "Goterdun," lol. I wonder what the deer would think about that on our spread in Roan Mountain? Thanks for the update Dj.