Fuel Shut Off

TobyU

Threads
Seafoam, since 1942.........
It's better than nothing but for stabilizer it's a "jack of all trades - master of none"
I find a pure stabilizer that only stabilizes works better.

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK, But FYI, Sta-Bil has limited shelf life, it will go bad & get gummy..

TobyU

Threads
OK, But FYI, Sta-Bil has limited shelf life, it will go bad & get gummy..
I'm sure it does but that would be years!
I have seen it get dark but still be thin like normal and I've used it even when old and darker with no issues.

Peanut butter has a shelf life too. I'm not going to start making apple butter and jelly sandwiches because peanut butter has a shelf life.
I'm just going to eat it before it gets really old....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hondas are the only common ones to have shutoffs.
What do you mean by "fouling" carbs ?
The most common problem is a no start or not running well condition after off season storage.
While turning off valve and running untill it stalls is better than doing nothing before storage, it still leaves some old fuel in the bowl and tank and that will still evaporate and can cause issues.
It is better than doing nothing but I prefer to fill machine with fresh stabilized fuel before it's last use then to it off with that same fresh fuel when done.
If it has a fuel valve, I have no problem turning it off to prevent a mess from possible leaks but I DO NOT run it after I turn off the valve.
I want the bowl as full as possible with fresh stabilized fuel bought that day!

Also NEVER take old gas (even week old) and add stabilizer to it and call it stabilized.
Take empty gas can you station, add 1oz sta-bil to can for every gallon of gas and then as gas to can.
This is fresh, stabilized fuel.
Just about every push mower sold in Australia has a shut off valve .
Every locally assembled push & ride on has a fuel shut off valve
Most UK & EU mowers have fuel shut off valves
It seems that only USA models do not have them
I see this regularly where the export model will have a shut off while the grey US imports of the same mower do not have a shut off .

shurguywutt

Threads
I see this regularly where the export model will have a shut off while the grey US imports of the same mower do not have a shut off .
Not surprised. Manufacturers in the US like to keep our repairs numerous and service costs high in order to push the customer to battery or to just buy new junkier equipment (probably also without a fuel shut off lol). Sad.

TobyU

Threads
I don't doubt that but you do realize most of the people in this forum are probably not in Australia right??

TobyU

Threads
Not surprised. Manufacturers in the US like to keep our repairs numerous and service costs high in order to push the customer to battery or to just buy new junkier equipment (probably also without a fuel shut off lol). Sad.
It makes little difference whether a machine has a fuel shut off or not.
Some may see it as a nice addition but few even use it even when it's there. Pretty much every push mower in the US market except ones with Honda engines do not have a fuel shut off and traditionally those machines have had far fewer starting and running issues then the Honda's with the shut off. LOL

shurguywutt

Threads
It makes little difference whether a machine has a fuel shut off or not.
Some may see it as a nice addition but few even use it even when it's there. Pretty much every push mower in the US market except ones with Honda engines do not have a fuel shut off and traditionally those machines have had far fewer starting and running issues then the Honda's with the shut off. LOL
We all know by now that you hate fuel shut offs. Maybe if you took them off of all of your Hondas they would have less problems? :LOL:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I don't doubt that but you do realize most of the people in this forum are probably not in Australia right??
Yes Toby I realize that the bulk of the forum members are from the USA but a lot of them do not seem to understand that there are countries other than the USA
And I think the Suzuki engines that Toro used on their walk behinds also had a fuel shut off valve as it is shown in the USA repair & owners manuals .

TobyU

Threads
We all know by now that you hate fuel shut offs. Maybe if you took them off of all of your Hondas they would have less problems? :LOL:
Where did I say I hate fuel shut offs?
I simply stated a fact that for the most part only Hondas have them in the US.
I also stated my experience over thousands and thousands of engines that they seem to make no difference on the smaller push mowers as to whether people have problems with them running after the off-season or not.
While I think it's a nice addition to have, I also think it's a waste of time and money because it's simply not needed.