ENGINE OIL

tigercat

Threads
I'll keep the party going.
I use SAE 30 in all my 4 cycle summer engines (Briggs and Kawasaki). I use SAE 5W-30 in all my snow blower and leaf blower engines (Briggs and Honda). I never used synthetic oil. If the machine has a oil filter, I change it at the end of season with the oil. I've been doing this for 35 years and I never had any oil related problem with my small engines.

My Kawasaki and Briggs & Stratton manual say to use SAE 30 at 32F or higher temp (ZTR or yard tractors, lawn mowers) , when I normally cut the grass. I use the 5W-30 (leaf blower / snow blowers) in the colder temp mainly so it starts easier. The main advantage of synthetic oil (SAE 10W-30) IMHO would be in cold start conditions like having your tractor run in the winter time plowing snow.

Now the new gas with 10% ethanol is a PITA. I had 1 snow blower carburetor rust internally because of this fuel. I now run stabil marine and I tag the gas cans. If the gas becomes 1 year old, I feed my truck the fuel to burn it off. I keep many fuel cans here full on site for my generator. You can't trust the weather or government....:laughing: