Cylinder scratches & internal rust on new Vanguard

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Apparently they need to fog their engines w/ a corrosion prohibitor at the end of the run.
The problem is not using a rust prohibitor, the problem is the engine is not supposed to set on the shelf for 2 years before being used. I have OEM's that if the code date is 2 or more years before purchase date, you better be able to come up with a receipt.

I'llTakeTwo

Threads
The problem is not using a rust prohibitor, the problem is the engine is not supposed to set on the shelf for 2 years before being used. I have OEM's that if the code date is 2 or more years before purchase date, you better be able to come up with a receipt.
I wasn't expecting DOM of 2/2020. When I reported the problem to SEW and said the engine was "new old stock" vice new, their response was:

"It is incredibly rare that you would find an engine to purchase that is built the same year that you're purchasing. That might change a little going forward due to supply chain issues and the fact that every engine manufacturer is playing catch up for the foreseeable future. It was very normal for an engine to sit in a Briggs warehouse for 2-3 years before getting moved to distributors. All that surplus is pretty well gone now, but that is how they operated. A lot of companies would go out of business if they had to tag large portions of their inventory as "old stock" after 1 year or 2."

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I wasn't expecting DOM of 2/2020. When I reported the problem to SEW and said the engine was "new old stock" vice new, their response was:

"It is incredibly rare that you would find an engine to purchase that is built the same year that you're purchasing. That might change a little going forward due to supply chain issues and the fact that every engine manufacturer is playing catch up for the foreseeable future. It was very normal for an engine to sit in a Briggs warehouse for 2-3 years before getting moved to distributors. All that surplus is pretty well gone now, but that is how they operated. A lot of companies would go out of business if they had to tag large portions of their inventory as "old stock" after 1 year or 2."
And somebody doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. I have never received an engine that had set in a warehouse for more than about 6 months from DOM. And in some cases it would be a violation of EPA standards to even sell that engine if it had set in the warehouse for that long.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was a machinist who bored and rebuilt engines for a living. Is it a steel piston ring on an aluminum cylinder? I can make marks on aluminum with a popsicle stick.

I'llTakeTwo

Threads
And somebody doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. I have never received an engine that had set in a warehouse for more than about 6 months from DOM. And in some cases it would be a violation of EPA standards to even sell that engine if it had set in the warehouse for that long.
I had to re-read their response, but given the verb tense they use, it seems they are talking about in the last two years with Covid having wreaked havoc with things. I can't imagine why any manufacturer would normally have their product sit in their own warehouse for a year.

I'llTakeTwo

Threads
I was a machinist who bored and rebuilt engines for a living. Is it a steel piston ring on an aluminum cylinder? I can make marks on aluminum with a popsicle stick.
It's a sleeved bore.

I'llTakeTwo

Threads
Okay, now I'm ticked. I left them a one star review last Thursday with a description of what happened. It's gone now, they've had it removed somehow. I had a browser opened on the review page that showed my review since I planned on checking to see if they would leave a response. I looked just now and there was a little insert under my review to the effect that the comment/review was no longer available because it was over 90 days old. What??? So I refreshed the page and the review is completely gone along with the notice. The one and six month review stats also changed to show zero negative reviews in those periods.
The seller is "Small Engine Warehouse". They have a .com website using that name as the URL, minus the spaces. Their ebay name is "small-engine-deals". I can't believe this...
Edit: This purchase was through their ebay site and the review was left there. So I figure they pulled some strings w/ ebay somehow. I need to try get someone at ebay and ask why they scrubbed it.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As I posted earlier, get a new supplier. I know the OP has no other choice at this time, but everyone else BEWARE.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
My dad told me as a child, nothing is free, everything has a cost. And if someone sells products for a lot less than the general market, always go cautiously. Maybe at this point it might be worth checking compression to the factory specs and see how it compares. Lots of those ratings at places get managed. Usually all it does is get their attention for a moment. If they want you as a client they will work with you. If they don't care, then nothing will come of it.

Gord Baker

Threads
Thanks for the feedback. I was also concerned by the little "chunkies" kinda spattered around the cylinder and additional wear that might occur after startup, then be stuck with an iffy engine. This is a company that sells online through their website and ebay. I purchased through ebay b/c this engine was listed with free returns within 30 days, but no free returns via their website. Oh, and no returns if fuel or oil is added.
I submitted all my pics asking about either a return or a discount and they would only offer $100 off. They also stated that B&S test ran them and that the engines wouldn't be "spotless", this after submitting pictures showing rust and scoring. lol, sigh...
I doubt that B@S test ran them all. It would be almost impossible to get them that clean inside or did you remove all traces of oil? Scratches appear very minor. Does it burn much Oil? Get your $100 and run.