Craftsman Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

hrdman2luv

Threads
Hello folks. Not much to say about me, really. I have 2 craftsman lt1000. One is a 21hp and the other is a 19.5. The 19.5 is apparently an older one. The heads are on opposite sides. It's an I/C Platinum. I got both of them for $80. Plus a few extra tires and wheels. Not bad I guess. I got the 21hp up and running in no time.

But the 19.5 is what made me start looking for help. Which is how I found this forum.

I hope to get some help with it. And maybe pass along a few things I've learned since I started working on and keeping these things going. So far, except for the 19.5, I've had very little trouble.

The 15.5hp, that's now sitting on the side of the shed (used too much oil and smoked until the oil level dropped) I might try my hand at a new ring kit for it. But, that's a later on project....

I'd attach a pic, but we all know what LT1000's look like.

Ricksmowershop

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings my name is Rick and I have a couple mowers. im also a retired small engine service technician, worked for sears for 30 + years. I own my own shop now. Im a Briggs master service technician, Kohler certified repair technician, and Hydrogear service technician. so if I can help let me know.....

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Greetings my name is Rick and I have a couple mowers. im also a retired small engine service technician, worked for sears for 30 + years. I own my own shop now. Im a Briggs master service technician, Kohler certified repair technician, and Hydrogear service technician. so if I can help let me know.....

Welcome to our world.

Will be nice to have you here to help with the hydrogear Questions.
I for one will be picking your brain.

Hekkler

Forum Newbie
Threads
GREETINGS to all Craftsman mower owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Craftsman owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Craftsman mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Craftsman stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

Craftsman 16hp mower

CheezisChrust

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys,

I bought a Craftsman Eager-1 6.5hp self propelled mower (917.377951) a few months ago from a nice old man on craigslist. He buys old mowers, cleans them up, and sells them as a hobby.

Just recently the mower started acting up, out of nowhere - and I didn't write that guys number down. :(

It used to start on the first-second pull, and run with no problems. It barely took any gas, which surprised me, but now with the way it's acting up, I'm starting to think maybe the carb wasn't getting enough gas.

It will start after being primed, rev up, down, up, down, up, down, almost like clockwork. Then it will just die, after 6 or 7 goes. If you hold in the red prime button, it will stay running, but starts going up and down once you let off, until it dies.

I found the rod connected to the butterfly valve in the carb, and tried playing with that when it was revving up/down, but pulling it open makes it die immediately. Yet again, I suspect bad fuel delivery.

I pinched off the fuel line, drained the bowl, unclipped the bowl off, and cleaned out as much as I could. The float seems to work just fine, I took out the yellow plastic jet...thing in the middle and cleaned it out. The rubber gasket at the bottom was in three pieces, so I went to Lowe's and found another as close to the same size as possible. I sprayed everything real good with B12 carb cleaner, used my little brushes on every hole and tube I could find, and put everything back together. Still does the same exact thing.

Any ideas or suggestions? Should I just bite the bullet and buy a repair kit on amazon?

Thanks for reading!

fastgast57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good afternoon, I work for a mobilehome park and we have 2 lt1000's, a GT3000 & A GT5000. I personally had a GT 3000 and they all have been great. I fiquire with this many I'd better join to better educate myself.:thumbsup:

grey1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all I'm Curt in the blue grass State. I just got a Craftsman 917 256522 EZ3. I look forward to you guys helping me get it back in good shape.

Malcolm3000

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I Have a YT3000 with a few accessories (snowblower, cart, leaf sweeper, yard raker). I've had it for 3 years and am always looking to improve it's performance.

Thanks,

Malcolm.

tim the tractor boy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just got a craftsman dyt 4000 with a 4 inch pulley swap and it goes about 35 mph