Craftsman Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

Kcsguide

Threads
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and recently picked up an older, (81 I think) Craftsman GTV 16 garden tractor to restore. It has a Briggs engine and has a few problems to deal with but hey, that's what keeps it interesting!

tfrugal

Forum Newbie
Threads
first post-- but i have to admit to lurking to help figure out an issue on one of my mowers....

since this is the crapsman thread-- my fave mower is my old 1960's era surburban 12. smokes like a detroit diesel, but mows everything, and i mean everything. just finished mowing an acre that had not been touched in two years (should have baled it). best 200 bucks spent in a while.....

jascoesens

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings!
James from Wyoming, MI
01 eager 1 push mower 6 hp

currently having a No Spark issue.
have looked up at sears site for model number without success.
Suspect I need a new electronic ignition (or magneto). Where can I find a replacement?

tfrugal

Forum Newbie
Threads
james, i just got my mtd running, it had a spark issue. all i had to do was take the top cover off, and buff the magnets up that are on the flywheel, and the edge of the coil that matches up.

that works on a 2000 ish mtd with a tecumseh in it....no idea about yours. the real experts are out enjoying the holiday!

jascoesens

Forum Newbie
Threads
tfrugal,
thanks for the idea. I just tried it to no avail.
I'm thinking ignition coil (or magneto) may need to be replaced.
Anyone have any other suggestions of what to check and or where to look for the parts other than sears (they want $50-$55 for part & shipping)?
jas

AnthemBassMan

Threads
You can just about find them all day long on eBay for around $25. Sometimes with free shipping. All you need is the engine # from either the shroud or muffler depending on how old it is, then you'll be set...

L8R,
Matt

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you checked the kill wire on the coil.
Un hook the wire and then check for spark.

jascoesens

Forum Newbie
Threads
carscw,
nope. Thanks I will try tomorrow. I'm done playing mechanic for the day.
jas

tfrugal

Forum Newbie
Threads
make sure you have it gapped right too. when i did mine, the first time it was too far out. ended up using a piece of paper as a shim, first time was a business card. i think its .0125 or something tiny.

just so you know, the mower i did this to-- the guy said it would not start, and had no spark. he played with it for a while, got mad and bought a new mower. i gave him 50 bucks for his old one......
he had lost the spark plug, a few bolts but the thing even had aired up tires and sharp blades on it. it was FUN mowing the yard on my new mower-- even had a half tank o'gas.

you have it apart, tomorrow try it again!! all the hard work is in, now its what 2 bolts and a plug removal?

also, see if you can borrow a coil before you buy one. might be tough (depends on the neighborhood-- i have a few neighbors with parts mowers) but money saved is money earned.

i have good luck with putting part numbers in google and comparing prices that way. currently looking at a filter for the above mower, and have at least one option cheaper than the best price i found on ebay-- shipping included.

gunnersm87

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok, so the pinheads at sears have been unable to help. I recently bought a dark green craftsman GT 16hp kohler commander 6 spd tractor, and im in desperate need of a model number. no the sticker is not readable. the front is kind of rounded. not square. its a 5 lug rear wheel. it has a 46" deck, but that could be a recent addition. does someone know a model number? or at least another place on the unit to find a number? Maybe a location of another number that can be cross referenced to maybe 4-5 models? thanks in advance

matt