Choice of Spark Plugs

Ariena

Threads
reynoldston said:
No argument here because not my equipment and could care less what ever you do with your equipment or time. I am not going to hunt all over for a certain brand spark plug.

Whatever happened to being proud of your work?
Do you ever get repeat customers?

Popeye

Threads
You would be exactly the person I wouldn't work for

Then we have an understanding with each other. I'm retired also. But if I work on someone elses's stuff I will do at least as good a job as I do own my own. If you're gonna do it, do it right especially if your getting paid for it.
Best of luck to you and I wish you well.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's why I ended my previous post with "or equivalent" and when you use what the manufacturer recommends you can't go wrong. By the way, the difference I see in different brands of spark plugs are the color and size of the letters they use to designate what plug it is, the shape of the porcelain insulator and the fancy colors on the box. Use what works best for you in your particular situation.

Back in the day if a GM vehicle came into the shop it got AC Delco plugs, Chrysler got Champion and Ford got Motorcraft because I found it did make a difference in the way the engine responded. Now the computer can compensate for just about any kind of driving condition and it may make a whole lot less difference.
Exactly. back in the day if you put Champion equivalent plugs in a chevy you better take your old AC plugs and a plug wrench with you if you didn't like walking. Been there but didn't have to walk. :biggrin:

I've seen the same on Waukesha industrial engines. The plug of choice for years on a particular engine Mod. was Champion. A dealer that sold us a new engine determined NGK were better and I was out in the middle of the night changing back to Champion in less than 24 hours. All engines aren't created equal and neither are plugs.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Exactly. back in the day if you put Champion equivalent plugs in a chevy you better take your old AC plugs and a plug wrench with you if you didn't like walking. Been there but didn't have to walk. :biggrin:

Back in the day?? Must of been way back :smile: better take your old AC plugs and a plug wrench?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Then we have an understanding with each other. I'm retired also. But if I work on someone elses's stuff I will do at least as good a job as I do own my own. If you're gonna do it, do it right especially if your getting paid for it.
Best of luck to you and I wish you well.

It just seems you are throwing a lot of mud at me. We don't even know each other and you are telling me I do poor work. Now what in the world are you getting this from. Just over a spark plug brand. Just because I don't care what brand spark is in a engine as long as its the proper one makes me a poor mechanic so be it. Now to me poor work is leaving out bolts and nuts, just taping up wires and letting them lay loose, pounding on bearings, etc. I think you get the picture. I will compair my work with anyone and find I have a lot of return customers.

Popeye

Threads
No mud. Just a different way of going about things and differences of opinion. Like I said I wish you well. I'm done here.

JOE.G

Threads
reynoldston

I don't think anyone is saying your a bad Mechanic, But the way you came off makes it seem loike you have a bad attitude and don't care about your customers.

If a Customer requests a certain plug I think it is the Mechanics job to get it for them.

Or have the customer supply it if you can not get it easily.

Last edited:

oldyellr

Threads
If a Customer requests a certain plug I think it is the Mechanics job to get it for them.

It would be the parts guy's job to get it. It would be a mechanic's job to explain why the plug was not necessary or suitable if he had that knowledge, but "the customer is always right". Unfortunately, both parts guys and mechanics will often pass on bad information and old wives' tales.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If a Customer requests a certain plug I think it is the Mechanics job to get it for them

I don't know what world you live in but I have worked for big dealer and manufactures and you get what ever they have for parts and if not you would pay big time. You are making it look like I am just throwing in any thing to make it work. This is not true because I use top quality and proper parts. Any dealer that does work around here gets 70 dollars a hour and I get 10 dollars and hour. The customers I work for are looking for top quality work for low money so lots of times instead of me spending hours looking for parts I will let them do that. I have this under standing with them right from the start and if they bring me wrong parts or poor quality its there problem not mine. Any dealer I have ever worked for you use their parts and prices or they will tell you right out they wouldn't work on your equipment but because I am saying this I do bad work. Yes this is throwing mud at me. I don't come on this forum for this type arguments but try to give my advice on repairs. On top of this I am not asking to work on anything of yours.

JOE.G

Threads
I am not throwing mud at you and am not saying that you are bad at what you do, I just mentioned the way that you said it doesn't seem like you cared about your clientele, I understand that there are diffirent parts and different brand names and that a lot of them will do the same job as the name brand one, there are also some that will not.

So Once again It was your attitude toward your customers that I commented about and I still think that if a customer wants a certain part then you should install it for them, even if they have to get it themselves ( Of course only if it is the right part ).