Choice of Spark Plugs

I'd be willing to bet there is still at least one person on this forum that will argue the point.



No argument here because not my equipment and could care less what ever you do with your equipment or time. I am not going to hunt all over for a certain brand spark plug. Just how much money can I charge a customer looking for a spark plug? If they don't like the brand spark plug I installed,they fix there own mower next time or take it else where.
 
I'd be willing to bet there is still at least one person on this forum that will argue the point.



No argument here because not my equipment and could care less what ever you do with your equipment or time. I am not going to hunt all over for a certain brand spark plug. Just how much money can I charge a customer looking for a spark plug? If they don't like the brand spark plug I installed,they fix there own mower next time or take it else where.

It's nice to be in a position to tell your customers that.
 
I stumbled across this information while doing a little research. Click on the link, go to page 17, look under the title heading "Spark Plug" on the top half of the page, go to the outlined box that has the word "IMPORTANT" in upper case and bold letters. Take careful notice of what the warning says and implies. Even with evidence like this, I'd be willing to bet there is still at least one person on this forum that will argue the point.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Here is the link: http://www.echo-usa.com/getattachment/de2bcd12-cae2-4156-93f5-cdeabdf40638/PAS230es1112_121411.pdf

I can hear the nay-sayers already - "but, but, but, it doesn't matter." Tell Echo that they are wrong.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

IMPORTANT
Use only NGK BPM-8Y spark plug (BPMR-8Y in Canada) otherwise
severe engine damage may occur.

That's funny! Doing a search for a cross-reference on that plug tells me there's no exact equivalent of that heat range, but a lawn mower isn't a race car, so you're not going to see any difference if you're one step too hot or cold on the plug for chrissakes. Engine damage might occur, though, ,if you used a totally wrong reach plug or one with the wronk type of seat.

However, I like NGK plugs. They have a wider, more forgiving heat range.
 
If I took my equipment to someone that told me to get lost if I requested a certain plug would not sit to well with me. If it took a extra day or two to get a speical plug I would understand.
 
It's nice to be in a position to tell your customers that.



It sure is. When you are retired, work cheap, and only do what I want and when. Believe me I had a lot of year not like that but not anymore. I have found after working on someones equipment,or cycle we are more on a friend type bases them a customer, business type. I have no problem telling a customer they would be better off taking their repairs to a different shop. It would make a customer more dissatisfied with me if I have to charge them 30 or more dollars for a spark plug that I had to spend a haft a day looking for then not to do the job. If it ever come down to a certain brand sparkplug I would tell the customer to buy their own would also work for me.
 
Reading this thread confirms what I've always believed, this spark plug thing is a religion. It's just like when people swear by Ford, Chevy or Dodge because that's what they grew up liking. Most everyone has had an isolated bad experience with some major brand plug and will dis that brand forever after. If one particular brand was consistently unreliable, it would soon disappear off the market.
 
No argument here because not my equipment and could care less what ever you do with your equipment or time. I am not going to hunt all over for a certain brand spark plug. Just how much money can I charge a customer looking for a spark plug? If they don't like the brand spark plug I installed,they fix there own mower next time or take it else where.

That's exactly the kind of tech I DON'T want working on my equiqment. I was an OMC tech for a while and went to OMC school. I have seen some of the work done by "mechanics with that attitude". Got expensive at times for customers that got work done by someone with the "It's not my boat" attitude.
Don't mean to offend you BUT.............
If your not going to take the time to fix it right. Leave my stuff alone.
 
That's exactly the kind of tech I DON'T want working on my equiqment.


You would be exactly the person I wouldn't work for. I don't know what you do for a living but mine is retirement. I only do work because I have done it all my life and still just do it for more of a hobby then a job. I can tell for one thing you would know a lot more then me so it would be best I didn't work on your equipment. I guess somebody must like my work because I have all I want plus turn some down. Yes in my younger years I have been to training classes plus 50 plus years as a full time mechanic so I just might know something.
 
Back
Top