Broke my neighbors mower

ASEAudie

Threads
Cool - so you have rebuilt these motors before I am guessing.

Looking at the exploded parts diagram and the Shop manual it does not look too bad.

Do I need to borrow a Torque Wrench for the rod bolts?

And someone told me muratic acid was the trick to get any alum off the crank.

Thinking about it not likely that alum rods could have done much damage to the steel crank.

Thank you for your help very much.

Muratic acid indeed, followed by some emory cloth to polish up that crank journal.
Torque wrench indeed, follow the specs. in the service manual
Check in here with your progress, and let us know how it turned out.

talley2191

Threads
You may want to rethink doing this yourself. Just a thought but sounds like its time to bite the bullet. Sorry for misfortune.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You may want to rethink doing this yourself. Just a thought but sounds like its time to bite the bullet. Sorry for misfortune.

Its not a bad job. The only thing I would do different is have the crankshaft cleaned by a machine shop. I don't like doing the job more then once. Been there and done that and had to do the job over in a short time down the road. If you are going to do the job do it right. I would much rather use old seals and gasket then try to clean the crankshaft myself. That wouldn't be the place to try to save money.

crispins

Threads

Why is that? It looks pretty straightforward. I have a full set of tools but will borrow a ring compressor and torque wrench from my buddy.

Unless there is something that I am not seeing it is not going to be that hard of a job.

I will pull the motor apart tomorrow and report back

crispins

Threads
I think I have decent mechanical skills.

Not too long ago the Auto Transmission in my GF's car blew.

I changed it over to a 5 Speed manual transmission in just a couple of days.

101_3850.jpg

Here it is all back together - works perfect

101_3932.jpg

talley2191

Threads
Then you should have no problem fixing it. Good luck

crispins

Threads
Update ..

I finally got the case split open yesterday after dicking with the stuck drive pulley for days. I had to pull out the cutting torch to get it off.
Anyway inside the motor was a murder scene, it is nothing but scrap metal.
Cylinder has a chunk broken from the bottom, cam bent and broke the mount off both cases.
I talked to the neighbor a few days ago who said basically '**** happens' and if I was going to do the labor for free he would pay for all the parts.

My new idea is this, I have a 18 HP motor from a tractor I scrapped out that happens to have the same shaft on it (1" x 3 3/32")

I am going to put that motor on today, rig up the fuel pump from the other motor to hopefully work on this motor and get it running.

I will then call my neighbor over and show him the bad motor and show him this one mounted up and see what he says.

I found a 22 HP motor (he had a 25hp motor) for $598 shipped

So my question for anyone who might know the answer is will the 18 hp work?

It is a 50" deck and he mows around 3/4 an acre of flat land, he does not use it to pull a trailer or do anything but just mow the yard.

I know the 18 hp has a much better rep than the 25 hp V-Twin that he had.

So what do you think?

crispins

Threads
it is actually a 14.5 HP motor, is that too small?