Broke my neighbors mower

Can you help me with some wiring questions please.

1) There are 2 wires connected to the bowl of the carb, one is black and goes to ground and the other it white. What does the white wire do?

That is all the questions for now as I think I have the other 3 wires figured out.

This is on a B&S 14.5 hp motor

Thank you very much
 
I just found that it is the "anti-afterfire solenoid"

How should that be hooked up?

I guess the only thing that would make sense is +12 while key is NOT in off position, correct?

Do I need this hooked up to run the motor?
 
I just found out my answer here it is for anyone who wants to know...

This solenoid must be connected to 12 volts while the engine is running and no voltage when the key switch is turned off. It can come 2 ways: The old style used the solenoid case as the ground, which automatically grounded the solenoid when it was screwed into the carburetor and the black wire went to the key switch. Presently, there are 2 wires, the gray wire goes to the key switch and the black wire goes to ground.
 
If it were me, I would go the short block route. No need to teardown anything, just transfer the major components. If done right the cost will be about the same and all internal parts would be new. Also, a lot less headaches and faster. Your friend will appreciate that you did it the right way. If you try rebuilding you may find worn valves, rings, cylinder, etc. that should be replaced which caused the low oil problem in the first place. Engine could have other problem that you will find as you teardown adding to your cost.
 
I am installing a 14.5 HP motor that I had from a lawn tractor that someone wanted scrapped.

I fired up the motor today and it runs, my neighbor is fine with the swap.

His motor was around 8 years old and highly neglected, if he wanted to buy a short block I would have gladly installed it for him but he said he did not.
 
40% less horsepower will make mowing the yard take nearly twice as long. The early Intek engines (with the flat air filters) seem to have a history of short life; especially if not serviced REAL REGULAR. I had 4 in my shop in the last 5 years with similar fails. Good luck !!
 
Well got everything working finally today.

Had a lot of trouble getting the carb to work as it say for years with gas in it.

I took it out to the side of the road by my house where the grass was very tall and overgrown and it went through it at full speed. Yes it missed a few strands of grass here and there but the test was to see if the 14.5 HP could handle the 52" deck and it did great. You would never mow grass that tall that fast anyway.

I took it around my yard some, which was mowed not too long ago, and it did just fine.

The only thing I gotta do is get the hole in the muffler where the 2nd exhaust pipe used to go into welded shut. I will try to get that done tomorrow.

The electrical wiring was not too hard at all. I was worried about it but it was no big deal. All the colors on the motor matched those on the wireing harness (I did test them before I connected just to make sure)

So thank you for the help. Looks like this problem has been solved.
 
Back
Top