Briggs Intek 20HP Using Oil

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have only operated a rider mulching mower for just a short time, but I did notice that the ground speed has to be reduced to keep the mulched output from clumping and slowing down the deck. I would think that mowing more often with a mulching mower is needed. I mow my own lawn in hot weather to 4 1/4"-4 1/2" height with open discharge, sometimes three times a week, shorter in fall with collection. The collection blower on my Scag Tiger Cub is easily removed or reinstalled. All my customers are mowed with collection and I can dispose of the clippings at or near their locations, if not then they become someone elses customer!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing:

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Guys, how often should oil be changed in your average mower? Is it different for push-behinds and ride on mowers?

Thanks. :)

Parkmower

Threads
Briana said:
Guys, how often should oil be changed in your average mower? Is it different for push-behinds and ride on mowers?

Thanks. :)

For your average homeowner once a year is good for push or riding mower. Usually done in spring before the mowing season begins.

Other than that everyone has a preference 25hrs, 50hrs, or 100hrs. Depends on the machine and how it's used.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
I change my tractors twice a year . Every other machine once a year . The parts are so cheap I change plugs and filters frequently . My stuff is a healthy 25+ years old .

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oil change once a year is perfect... Check oil level every-time you use it is also a good idea.. :smile:KennyV

Mr. Shamrock

Threads
Sorry for taking so long, but obviously over the winter the mower wasn't a huge priority and I was hoping that my Sea Foam soaking was going to magically cure it - wrong. I cut the grass the other day and again it used about 1/2 a quart. So I ordered a repair manual and a gasket set and tore into it today. Man I can't believe how much of a carbon build-up there was. Here is a picture of the worse side...

100_9352.jpg

Here is more of a profile shot. It is the thickness of a nickel!

100_9353.jpg

I didn't get a shot of the the worst head, but here is the other side. You can't really tell it from the picture but the valves were definitely not seating properly...

100_9355.jpg

So I started the cleaning procedure...

100_9356.jpg

100_9358.jpg

100_9360.jpg

The heads are going to soak for at least a few hours and maybe overnight so I made a nice hot tub for two...

100_9361.jpg

And one final pic of my poor tore down Snapper...

100_9357.jpg

Anything you guys recommend while I have it apart? Obviously I have a new gasket set in hand with new valve seals. I plan on changing the oil too. It's no wonder my oil was turning black after a single cut.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the valves were not sealing that can cause increase oil usage. Check to see if you can still see the cross hatch pattern in the cylinder walls. If there is a real smooth surface it may have some dirt ingestion causing rapid wear. Check to see if there is a ridge at the top of the cylinder to indicate excessive wear.

Mr. Shamrock

Threads
If the valves were not sealing that can cause increase oil usage. Check to see if you can still see the cross hatch pattern in the cylinder walls. If there is a real smooth surface it may have some dirt ingestion causing rapid wear. Check to see if there is a ridge at the top of the cylinder to indicate excessive wear.

They definitely couldn't have been sealing. There was little specs of carbon right on the edge of the valve where they meet the head. I will check the cylinders tomorrow. I just got back from dinner and went out there and scrubbed some more on the heads and the chemical is slowly dissolving the carbon. By tomorrow it should definitely be good to go. Man I hope this is all that was wrong with it! I know one thing - checking the air filter will now be part of my pre-cut inspection. Thanks for the input!

Mr. Shamrock

Threads
I got it all back together and it runs great (but it has always run great). I don't know if it is just wishful thinking or what but it seems to run a little smoother. It still baffles me how a mower that doesn't smoke (besides a very slight puff when the PTO engages), doesn't leak, and runs fantastic can go through so much oil. Hopefully it is fixed though. I didn't change the oil because I am going to cut the grass tomorrow and change it when I am done that way it will be good and hot. So I will update tomorrow to let you know if it is fixed or not.

Mr. Shamrock

Threads
Well the results are in. I topped off the oil and added a little Sea Foam hoping to get a little more carbon out if possible. I then cut my yard. When I was done the oil level was down just a little. I immediately opened the drain and the oil came out BLACK! This oil has only been in the mower for 2 cuts (about 3 hours of run time). I replaced the oil and filter and went ahead and threw some new spark plugs in there as well. I then cut the yard again (I know kind of a waste, but I just had to know if this fixed it or not). When I was done the oil level was right on the mark and very clean. So I am very optimistic that this did the trick AND my yard has a nice criss cross pattern from the 2 cuts! :cool: