Bought a 2000 725k...

173abn

Threads
Hey Kenny,K-State is OK but I'm partial to K.U. even though they let me down last week. russ

BWH

Threads
If you change the gearbox fluid I would replace it with OEM fluid which would be a synthetic fluid. My Grasshopper is a 1992 model with over 2600 hours and still has its original fluid in it; I believe that the important thing with these gear boxes is that there are no leaking fluids around the gear box. I have friends that run Grasshoppers in their commercial lawn service and have surpassed 6000 hours without a gear box failure.

steved

Threads
Well, I took it out for a "spin" yesterday...it was dry and I had nothing else to do. I'll probably be mowing the yard at the end of the week if its dry...just spread 100#s of grass seed in an attempt to grow grass in my former hay field.

I had found the drive tires over-inflated after the last outing...dropping them to the recommended 6psi made an absolute world of difference. No more spinning at every turn, and it rides like its on an airbag.

I basically wanted to see how it would handle the terrain, more than how it would mow. I took it on the steepest portions to see A) if it would climb them, B) if it would rear up descending them, and C) if it would be stable on the side hills. I must say I am very pleased, it climbed without hesitation where the old rider would spin sometimes. It would lift the rear wheel on a steep descent and purposely braking hard, but it was minor and controllable. It felt very stable on side slopes. The only thing I will be doing it changing out the "fixed" deck mount bushings for the optional "floating" deck mount bushings...I think it would place less strain on things and mow better if the deck could pivot a little.

I also mowed a small patch, and it does very well...the grass was pretty thick and it didn't even change tune. It definitely does better with the new blades.

I did check the oil afterwards, and it appears to have flushed some of the old oil out...turned it a little darker brown from the initial olive green. Probably run it one time, then change the oil and filter as a precaution...I'm running Schaeffers 5w40 synthetic, so it should scrub the insides out pretty good being a PAO base. Even though I ran it about 20 minutes, the oil itself barely got warm...so the oil cooler must be doing its job now that its got air flow.

173abn

Threads
BWH,are you talking about the hydro fluid or the little gearbox that the deckshaft goes into that's located under the deck?I use OEM hydro fluid but as to that gearbox under the deck the dealer said regular 90wt gear lube will suffice.I did get a qt. of Purple something[?]now I'm going to have to research this futher before I do this.I'm going to Grasshopper"s web site to see if I can find any info....russ

steved

Threads
BWH,are you talking about the hydro fluid or the little gearbox that the deckshaft goes into that's located under the deck?I use OEM hydro fluid but as to that gearbox under the deck the dealer said regular 90wt gear lube will suffice.I did get a qt. of Purple something[?]now I'm going to have to research this futher before I do this.I'm going to Grasshopper"s web site to see if I can find any info....russ

The quart you bought should be Royal Purple...it is a quality synthetic. You did get a 75w90, 75w140, or 85w140 right? They also sell "synchromax" which is a light manual transmission fluid, among other things.

A quality synthetic gear oil should work just fine...

173abn

Threads
steved,thanks for helping me out on that name and no I did'nt get that heavy of a wt. all they had was 50wt. so I'll go somewhere else tomorrow to buy 90wt.glad you like your mower,I love mine and can't wait to get mowing...russ

BWH

Threads
Russ I was talking about the front gear box and agree with Steved recomendation of synthetic oil, it dosen't break down as soon and can tak heat a lot better. BWH

steved

Threads
Well, finally got it out...

First thing I got to do is replace the mower bushings with the optional "floating" bushing...my yard is rough and this may also help improve ride.

Second thing I got to do is remove that inner (optional) deflector under the deck...I think its pushing some of the taller weeds over and not allowing them to get cut.

Lastly, I think I'm going to spend the $$ on the replacement (splined) driveshaft offered my the-mower-shop (google Grasshopper parts, they are on top of the list). I think that would help with a minor vibration I have.

Other than those couple easy fixes...it mows GREAT! I mowed my entire yard in under two hours...it would have taken me at least four to five with the other tractor.

steved

Threads
steved,not real sure as to the purpose of those washers,might be a way of tourquing down the blades and keeping them tight.

I found out the reason for those washers...the primary thing they do is prevent dirt and debris from getting up around the spindle...I had to pull the blades to cut the optional air deflector from under the deck.

steved

Threads
The standard deck bushing:

SU1HMDAyNDItMjAxMTA1MTAtMTE0Ni5qcGc.jpg

The optional "floating" deck bushing:

SU1HMDAyNDEtMjAxMTA1MTAtMTE0Ni5qcGc.jpg

As you can see, the groove allows the locking pin some vertical movement, which translates into twist on the ground.