Bought a 2000 725k...

173abn

Threads
steved,got you on those boxes,so I guess you don't have the powerlift?my machine is a 1995 with a 1996 deck. 61".I think I'm going to change out that gearbox w/in the next day or so.my way of thinking if there's a drain plug for it then it ain't permanent. russ

steved

Threads
From what I understand, the newer models don't have a drain plug? If mine had more hours on it, I would change it out, but it looked clean when I checked it...its a wintertime project.

Should only take a cup or so to fill...I was thinking of draining it into a container to see how much is in there, then flipping the deck so the drain plug up in the air and filling to its level, that should leave at least some airspace for expansion of the fluid. Compare the two volumes...although it doesn't look to have leaked, you never know if the last guy actually filled it either.

What weight oil are you going to use? I was going to use what I have on hand: Royal Purple 85w140 or Schaeffer 75w140. I've had real good luck with both in automotive applications and in a 90* gearbox on a gravely mower deck. The oil looked like a gear oil?

My mower is sitting in the corner, patiently waiting for the snow to quit falling...

173abn

Threads
not sure what wt. to use,I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to buy an exhaust gasket and I'll ask. russ

173abn

Threads
checked with the dealer today and he said regular 90wt lube is adquate.Curious as to where you get this purple "stuff" you mentioned?....russ

steved

Threads
checked with the dealer today and he said regular 90wt lube is adquate.Curious as to where you get this purple "stuff" you mentioned?....russ

Royal Purple is just a brand of synthetic oil...I've had good luck with it.

So a 80w90 conventional or a 75w90 or 75w140 synthetic should work well in the gear box...

173abn

Threads
Yes sir that's what the man said,so tomorrow out with the old in with the new...russ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have used Valvoline, SynPower or Mobil1 ... Gear box temp lowered after changing from what ever was factory in all my various gear boxes... so I have always went back with synthetic gear oils.

Royal Purple is available at both AutoZone and O'REILLY's... :smile:KennyV

steved

Threads
Not only did I see a drop in temp using RP 85w140 in a 90* gearbox on a gravely mower, but I also saw an decrease in mowing resistance (nothing else changed)...it took less power to mow the same yard. I had been using a conventional 80w90 gear oil.

I'll probably change it out later this summer when I get time...my elbow is still healing, can't really be ripping and tearing on that heavy deck.

173abn

Threads
I think I'm going to give that royal purple a try. thanks for the tip....russ