belt size question

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Since I work out of a 24 x 24 that is full of tools and parts, plus got one room of home full of parts now just make some room a new 44" tool box system; space is at a premium. Most of my work is now outdoors.

As for the numbers that's why I showed you the supersedes on post #11. This the latest price file update from Husqvarna which contains the latest supersedes that they provide my distributor which provides me the same file. Even this don't help when they put the right SKU number on the wrong belt. This why I measure every belt now as it has happen too many times here. All they got to do is to load the machine with the wrong part then a 1000 or so units gets printed wrong. IT happens but should have caught by quality control but it even pas them when they are on a coffee break.

As for belt variances it is understood but many OEM usually spec the shortest in the first place. I just did a JD recently that spec'd a mule drive v-belt and theirs came in a 1/4" shorter than spec and would not even fit over the spring loaded pulley with the assembly hitting its stop. Ended up having to unmount the pulley just to get the belt on. Definitely wasn't done by the service manual instructions.

corvairbob

Threads
if you just cut the belt it will still be the same length it it is worn that will not change the length if it is broke cut off the jagged [arts off and measure with a tape you can to the in a bathroom
thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Belt measurers are handy, particularly if you get an order of 50 belts that need to be checked, priced & stowed away.
FWIW , my go to for belt lengths is Gates.
Mos of the interchange sites have just been copied of a copy of some one elses that was copied off some one elses that was copied of some one elses so there are a lot of transcription errors like L sections being listed as std M-A-B-C for starters.
Even from the manufacturers you get errors.
I just put a new belt on a 2000 series Cub 42" deck.
The customer supplied it, it was a brand I did not recognise but he got it from the Cub Store on line.
It was too loose
SO I went back to the shop & get a Stens belt, it was too long
Now both of these belts came from the same maker and had the makers part number tape on them 3606
There was 2.5" difference between the two belts, neither fitted and both came from sleeves that had the correct Cub number on them.
So the "fix" was to get a slightly smaller from the stock pile .
I try to measure all belts when delivered .
Over the 8 years I have been operating I have had melts in the wrong sleeves and occasionally a belt that was labeled wrong ( vendors number on the belt ) but I have never before come across a belt that was labeled wrong ay the belt factory but this proved to me it does happen .
What most home users do not realize is belts come from the factory in bales, usually with a makers number on them .
That is the number you see a couple of inches away from the Vendors brand and part number .
These then go to a third party to have the afore mentioned branding tape adhered to the belts then be put in sleeves ready for sale.
Some vendors will sell belts in scanes ( bundles to some ) usually tied together with another belt and no sleeve for a considerably lower price .
So there are a lot of places where mis lableing can happen .
When you first posted , I ran your numbers through Gates and they came up as per your post so at that time there was no reason for me to chime in.
However the dialogue has progressed ( as they tend to do ) so I feel the above was prudent at this point in time .

Finally FWIW I keep several broken belts in the back of the van, marked at 6" intervals with a white Sharpie so when I come across a broken belt on site I can get a rough idea of the right size belt which can save me hours trolling through catalogues & IPL's trying to work out what is the right belt and there are dozens of mowers running around here wearing a Bert's Guestimate belt and working fine.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sounds like you learn like me the only one to trust to make sure the belt are right is yourself. To me it very aggravating to pull a belt out of stock to only find it is wrong when go to install it. So far with Gates when it comes to their inch size belts I only had one case of an A86 being 86" and every local shop had the same problem. Finally had to order one to get an A86 that was 88".

BTW Bert I have been at this for 12 yrs now myself. I however try to avoid field repairs whenever I can since inventory and tools are here in the shop. Even then there are days that I got to order a new tool like today where I got to order 46mm (1-13/16) socket for a new project. None of the local tool stores carries this large of a socket in stock especially in 6 point deep well impact. Never thought I would be needing sockets this large.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well it is
" Berts Mobile Mower Repairs"
Hand helds and most walk behinds need to come to me
Ride ons I come to them
If I can fix it in situ then that is what happens otherwise it gets loaded onto the trailer.
The work shop is on a farm so it can legally not be a workshop as that would contravine zoning laws.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I tried mobile repairs here but I had problems with the customers. They wanted the work done and then didn't want to pay for the repairs. Here they can legally order you off their property and not pay. Besides most customer don't even have decent hard surface to work on. Now it is bring it to me or I pick it up for repairs and I get paid before leaving the equipment.

I just had one of my better charge account customers to stick me with a repair bill. Boy do they got a surprise on the next repair call as I am not going. I was lucky it was only a belt and engine mounting screws parts wise. If I got it in the shop I can hold it until the bill is paid. Since I move to where I am now I had to go to small claims once to recover a repair bill. Most times I just sell or part out the equipment after 3 months of completion. Going to small claims court is a pain I would rather avoid most times.

As for what mobile repairs I do make I charge extra on the labor for the service which gives the customer the incentive to bring the equipment in.

And yes zoning laws are a pain for small shops. We don't make enough to rent a building many times. I am lucky that I am in the countryside and in farm country too. But the tax mob still taxes everything they can here even labor.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well it is
" Berts Mobile Mower Repairs"
Hand helds and most walk behinds need to come to me
Ride ons I come to them
If I can fix it in situ then that is what happens otherwise it gets loaded onto the trailer.
The work shop is on a farm so it can legally not be a workshop as that would contravine zoning laws.
I feel for the you. Where i live i can't have a retail business on my property so i can't put out sign but the dog grooming business can and a couple others. I have business license and a tax ID and liability insurance and am a LLC. Like star said can't afford to rent a storefront unless i was a whole lot bigger operation and i don't need the headache of that.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I feel for the you. Where i live i can't have a retail business on my property so i can't put out sign but the dog grooming business can and a couple others. I have business license and a tax ID and liability insurance and am a LLC. Like star said can't afford to rent a storefront unless i was a whole lot bigger operation and i don't need the headache of that.
What? You just want to go back to that 8 hr a day job with little to no headaches?

Some customers think we as business owners have it easy. They ought to try putting in up 16-18 hrs a day at times; although, I try to limit my time to only 12 hrs a day. Got to rest and let the headache pills work. Since I have manage a service office for nearly 16 yrs before going out on my own I knew what I was in for somewhat but the hours are a lot longer than I expected since I now got to do everything myself. At least my boss now is easy to work for.

I had to slow down some since my near strokes back Oct 2019. I simply wasn't watching my health and the blood pressure got out of control. Whole left side was shutting down. I still fighting the bp problem but I think I have hit on the right mix. Anyway I had to quit the last pills the doctor prescribed as I started seeing things that weren't there after 2 weeks. So I am just experimenting with second pill he prescribed and things seems to working right now. At lest the hacking cough is gone that the first pill he prescribed gave me. Now if can just get the right shoulder to stop hurting.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
What? You just want to go back to that 8 hr a day job with little to no headaches?

I wish. At age 61 i walked away from a $30/hr job. I was working 50-60 hours a week plus being on call 24/7 every few weeks plus running 2 side businesses. I got tired of getting called out at night and driving a hundred miles each way for a service call and then being back at it at 8:00 AM. That and telling pissed off customers their million dollar machine is down for a $5 part since the company slashed parts inventories to the bone. I will take the stress of running a mower shop and my other business. I am busy but at least i am in control.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Boy you did learn that $30/hr and then some. Here I was only $15 and had service area of 30+ counties but limited to 40hrs per no matter what as they would not pay overtime; unless, the customer was willing to $180-$240 per hour. which included travel time even if I did not have the parts. No customer was ever willing to pay that. I spent more time behind the windshield than on actual repairs.