belt size question

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Otherwords Husqvarna screwed up. According the latest price file sent to me from the Husqvarna distributor indicates the 589793501 and 581832401 both were superseded to 501818201.
501818201.JPG

corvairbob

Threads
may have been as these are not the same size belts the drive belts is 1/2 x 38.2" and the impeller belts it 1/2 x 34.4" just an fyi i have 3 of the 3501 belts and they fit the drive and are lose as a goose on th impeller see that photo i posted. i ordered on from poulan one form husqvarna and one from sears direct and all have different number per their store listings but all showed up the same size. i had to go into my stash 2 years ago to get one close enough to work and then forgot to order one last summer when it would have good time to get one and make sure it was correct. now i have knee deep snow and no blower to move it. let's hope the one i ordered this time is correct. this is form a v-belt dealer crossing out the poulan numbers
A36K Commercial Kevlar Belt / 584216101
Dimensions: 1/2" Top Width X 38" Outside Circ.
Regular Price: $10.95
Special Price $7.11
this is for the drive

OEM Replacement Belt (1/2X35 1/4) Compatible With 581832401
A33K Commercial Kevlar Belt
Dimensions: 1/2" Top Width X 35" Outside Circ.

Regular Price: $10.02
Special Price $6.51
this is the impeller belt

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is more o the belt than the length & profile.
Serpentine belts need the reinforcing cords to be deeper in the belt to prevent the back falling off in use.
High shock load belts use fewer thicker cords
So different part numbers.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hopefully they are actually the size stated. Many are not the size stated. This is the reason I had to buy a $200 v-belt measuring tool. I was receiving belt up to 2 inches shorter than the stated sizes when I was purchasing after market belts.

corvairbob

Threads
i know about how belts work this is from the husqvarna. some belts need to be cogged also to be able to take a sharper bend. and this is not a serpentine belt it only uses the back side for getting the tension for grabbing the drive sheave. belts have done that way before serpentine belts came along but thanks for that. and now i have the length form the mfg. and now you do to. click the link here it take you to the site. thanks bp.
1612567021399.png

corvairbob

Threads
Hopefully they are actually the size stated. Many are not the size stated. This is the reason I had to buy a $200 v-belt measuring tool. I was receiving belt up to 2 inches shorter than the stated sizes when I was purchasing after market belts.
we will see tomorrow. if it turns out to be the wrong length i will stop back and let you all know. and then i will go the the auto parts store and get one. i could not before as i did not have the length. thanks bp

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I was referring to the two after market belts that where listed in post #12.

I just had a lot of bad luck with after market belts. My main distributor of after market parts got to where every belt that were 1/2 (A) was at least one inch short and every 5/8 (B) belt was at least 2 inches short. I ended up throwing out over a $1000 (cost not counting shipping) in belts as they were purchased over a two year period for stock. Then it was recommended to purchase Stens belts. The very first ten belts were wrong sizes too with most being at least 1/2 inch short and even got a couple that were one longer than the labeled specs. I have gone back to the OEM belts and in the last two years haven't had a belt length problem. But with my experiences I still measure every belt when it comes in before an attempted installation.

A&I even asked me to trust them again after two years saying they had resolved the problem. Guess what the first two belts I order were over an inch short yet again. I flat will not order belts from them again.

Just to note with the belt being under 40" a 1/4" is a lot of difference to work with. Sometimes there is enough pulley wear to where the belt will work and sometimes not.

Now V-belt Supply has been tried here but the length time in shipping and high cost of SHC I just cant justify them besides I can get Husqvarna and MTD OEM belts in usually one day with reasonable costs.

Maybe it is just my luck here. Either way though it was an expensive lesson.

corvairbob

Threads
i guess it depends on how you actually measure them. in my 40 years as a machine repairman and in on stint i worked in the shops apint line and i had to maintain maybe 4 sets of belted machines, all fans a few for the chain drive. and in my time on that job i measured then the same way i measured these on the snowblower. by the back of the belt. i laid a tape on a flat surface marked the belt around and ran it own the tape. worked every time. and i do not know about your setup but i have never had a setup that did not have some amount of takeup do to the variances in the mfg. of the belt.

in fact when you have to roder belts in multiple those show be all mace from the same core so that theya re all the same length. if you were to just order lets say 3 belts for a multiple setup one at a time your going to see them at different lengths, and in that situation you can't just take up one as the complete frive gets adjusted all at once. and even then if you were to notice you may even see one that is a bit loose. happens all the time. that is one reason mfg. put at least 3 belts on a multiple drive setup just for that, the engineer knows one belt is going to be a bit loose

what i'm talking about here is that i did order the impeller belt from huskvarna,poulan and sears, under the part number in the book and they all showed up for the drive section. that is why i asked. if anyone happen to order or have one on hand that fits and what the number were or if they new the size. i could not use mine as it was a old spare form some other intem that i had laying around. could have been from a car, a machine, a lawn mower or whatever!

in all my research i did finally find a company that was able to cross the number and gave me the one size i had at 38.2 for the drive and 36.4 for the impeller. so i passed that on here for other that happen to need to source one form a local part store, as most online are out, hey it is winter.

so you really do not need the so called belt measuring tool if you just lay them flat on a surface and run them along a tape from the ene of the tape to the mark you placed on the belt as you started. that actually is how they are intended to be measured. thanks bp

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That works for shorter belt but when you start working with 180" belts finding a 16 foot board or straight run is hard in my shop. On top of that every vendor would find excuses as to I was measuring the belts wrong. Stens even tried claiming the measuring tool I got and was using is no good at measuring the belts even they sold the same tool for that purpose. Now don't that take the cake.

Using the rolling method along a surface does work as long as the belt or tape measure don't slip.

As for multiple belt setups I try to get a matched set whenever I can.

And yes manufactures suppliers do screw up sometimes but at least a distributor will usually make things right. As you stated at first the belt was 3/8 which was the wrong width.

And yes adjustments are built in most times but some equipment are very picky about the belt sizes especially the MTD CVT drive system. I also had a couple Husqvarna 625/675 HWT trimmer that spec'd a 3/8 belt that a 1/4 over a standard length that when using the even size would not work without modifying the belt drive system. The belt would not slip when in neutral there the trimmer head would spin all the time.

This was just another instance of Husqvarna sending out the wrong size belts as they were over an inch short.

Considering the number machines I see each year I am surprised that this don't happen more often.

corvairbob

Threads
well i just do not know how to advise you on that. like i said i was a machine repairman for 40 years and i use the shop floor to measure long belts. and for long belts if i needed hep i found help to hold them. for long belts i would just lay them sideways and run them along the wall. but then i never had to do belts much over 12' about wht your doing. and you get a percentage of length variance in any belt

conveyor belts are different. i would make them as needed. hard to find a conveyor belt the correct size.

but again this thread is for the poulan snowblower. and yes for some reason husqvarna must have had a miss print in there specs for these machines. that is why i asked if anyone found one local and what was that size. no one stepped up but for factory numbers that were wrong to begin with. i have 3 on the bench like that. so i did the work and passe the number on so other will not have to get 3 before they fine one that fits. with a belt that small a 1/4" will make a big difference. thanks bp.