Are mulching blades about the same?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
For the last thirty years, since I move into a new house in 1993, I’ve had the same Toro tractor and two Toro Super Recycler mowers. These mowers have all been setup for mulching since day one and do a great job. Two things will cause me problems, but it is my own fault and nothing works 100% of the time. Having to cut when the grass is wet and cutting the grass when it is too long. Sometimes you have to do just that and you live with it for a week. I’ve sold the Super Recycler mowers to two neighbors and at least 2 dozen relatives or personal friends. Not one of them has been displeased with their purchase and one neighbor even got his brother-in-law to purchase one also. Everyone mulches or bags in the fall. Only thing that you must do is keep the underside of the deck clean and blade sharp.
“Set up for mulching” That’s they key. True mulching blades are matched to the mulching baffles. That’s why they are sold in kits. Many people overthink things. They hear this and that about Gator style blades, buy them and expect them to perform better than the OEM mulchers. G5 and G6 Gator are high lift and will clog a mulching kit. The G3 is a standard lift blade. Oregon clearly states that Gator blades are for bagging and side discharge.
The mulching blades sold with the kits are typically a low lift blade. There is just enough lift to keep the grass suspended for multiple cuts. That’s where the wavy blade design pays off.
A mulching kit isn’t going to perform well on tall or wet grass.
Side discharge with a Gator G5 or G6 in tall or wet grass isn’t going to perform well either. They make a soupy or clumpy mess. A Gator G3 and side discharge is going to give better performance. However, an OEM standard lift or high lift is going to work best for side discharge in all mowing conditions. The same goes for aftermarket standard or high lift blade.

Threads
I have Rotary Copperhead Mulching Mower Blades:

1697883374914.png

on my JD along with the JD mulching baffle. These blades have held a sharp edge longer than any others I have used.

I keep the deck balanced and proper tire pressure and always get a good, even mulching cut. I never cut below 3.5" and mow as dry as possible, although it is wetter sometimes.

After two mowing seasons I have yet to find thatch buildup in my lawn in the fall, so it's been doing a decent job grinding up clippings.

moparjoe

Threads
I have had my Ariens Max Zoom 60 for about 6 years. I installed the OEM mulching kit on it about 5 years ago and have loved it. It is time to buy new blades. The OEM mulching blades have done a pretty good job, but thought I would ask the experts if there is something better. My father in law swears by the Gator Blades, but I have read that high lift blades are not good to use if you have a mulching kit.

Can someone comment on their experiences?
The best way to avoid mulching is called A CHAIN SAW. Cut the trees down and you wont have to worry about mulching.

tgzzzz

Threads
Use the OEM Gravely mulching blades. Gator or Gator style blades are designed for side discharge. Now, Stens, Rotary, or Oregon might have direct aftermarket replacements.
I notice you said "Stens" not 8ten. Maybe 8ten is Sten in Mandarin.

billcoleman520

Forum Newbie
Threads
“Set up for mulching” That’s they key. True mulching blades are matched to the mulching baffles. That’s why they are sold in kits. Many people overthink things. They hear this and that about Gator style blades, buy them and expect them to perform better than the OEM mulchers. G5 and G6 Gator are high lift and will clog a mulching kit. The G3 is a standard lift blade. Oregon clearly states that Gator blades are for bagging and side discharge.
The mulching blades sold with the kits are typically a low lift blade. There is just enough lift to keep the grass suspended for multiple cuts. That’s where the wavy blade design pays off.
A mulching kit isn’t going to perform well on tall or wet grass.
Side discharge with a Gator G5 or G6 in tall or wet grass isn’t going to perform well either. They make a soupy or clumpy mess. A Gator G3 and side discharge is going to give better performance. However, an OEM standard lift or high lift is going to work best for side discharge in all mowing conditions. The same goes for aftermarket standard or high lift blade.
You need to mow slower for things to work properly.

nbpt100

Threads
In my opinion doubling up blades is a DYI guys stupid idea. What can go wrong? Can’t properly tighten blades, may come loose. Destroying the spindles. Not made for two blades. Safety, may destroy the deck or blades go flying. Don’t even give that idea another thought, you’re asking for trouble. Who ever posted that or is thinking about do it, should have a frontal lobotomy ASAP, and should loose his manhood.
To give this some context. The best mulching walk behind mowers, in my humble opinion, use a double blade. Honda and Toro in particular. But they were designed that way from the factory. I do not know of a brand new riding mower deck that has double blades from the factory. If I am wrong I am happy to be corrected. Maybe a commercial one? Kits that add an extra blade are add on modifications. You are adding more weight( inertia) to the system and you will get faster wear and tear on the entire system. As Rivets said something is open to go wrong that may be dangerous. For certain you will have more wear and tear on the entire blade drive system
Good mulching mowers are designed to work with a particular blade and deck design.
Playing around with different blades and mulch kits for your deck is fine. I say have at it if that is what you want to do. But adding an extra blade per spindle is more risk when the machine is not designed for it. It may or may not mulch better but you are taking on other risks. It pays to understand what you are doing.

W1D2C

Threads
This is when I normally say if you like the cut from the blades you have been using, DOT CHANGE. Mulching has more to do with mulching kit, blade speed, unit speed and deck design, than which blade to use. If you switch blades and you don’t like the cut, what are you going to do?

W1D2C

Threads
This is when I normally say if you like the cut from the blades you have been using, DOT CHANGE. Mulching has more to do with mulching kit, blade speed, unit speed and deck design, than which blade to use. If you switch blades and you don’t like the cut, what are you going to do?There is a time for aftermarket and a time for oem. Bothe have strenghs. As Rivets said too many variables go with oem.

W1D2C

Threads
There is a time for aftermarket and a time for oem. Both have strengths. As Rivets said too many variables go with oem.