Are mulching blades about the same?

SJMaye

Threads
I have had my Ariens Max Zoom 60 for about 6 years. I installed the OEM mulching kit on it about 5 years ago and have loved it. It is time to buy new blades. The OEM mulching blades have done a pretty good job, but thought I would ask the experts if there is something better. My father in law swears by the Gator Blades, but I have read that high lift blades are not good to use if you have a mulching kit.

Can someone comment on their experiences?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is when I normally say if you like the cut from the blades you have been using, DOT CHANGE. Mulching has more to do with mulching kit, blade speed, unit speed and deck design, than which blade to use. If you switch blades and you don’t like the cut, what are you going to do?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Use the OEM Gravely mulching blades. Gator or Gator style blades are designed for side discharge. Now, Stens, Rotary, or Oregon might have direct aftermarket replacements.

bullet bob

Threads

SJMaye

Threads
Use the OEM Gravely mulching blades. Gator or Gator style blades are designed for side discharge. Now, Stens, Rotary, or Oregon might have direct aftermarket replacements.
I think I will. There was so much good press around the Gator blades I wondered if they may hold an edge longer.

Bullet Bob - Thank you for the link. When I searched previously, not being a pro I did not search that forum. I want to read through the comments there. Good stuff. Thanks.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think I will. There was so much good press around the Gator blades I wondered if they may hold an edge longer.

Bullet Bob - Thank you for the link. When I searched previously, not being a pro I did not search that forum. I want to read through the comments there. Good stuff. Thanks.
Read Oregon’s product information on the Gator blades. Oregon clearly states that they are for bagging or side discharge.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Read Oregon’s product information on the Gator blades. Oregon clearly states that they are for bagging or side discharge.
I am a Gator blade fan bigtime. I am also NOT a mulching fan at all. If you are happy with cut quality from mulching then stay with it. I cannot for the life of me, see how the cut quality with mulching would exceed side discharge and Gator blades.

SJMaye

Threads
I am a Gator blade fan bigtime. I am also NOT a mulching fan at all. If you are happy with cut quality from mulching then stay with it. I cannot for the life of me, see how the cut quality with mulching would exceed side discharge and Gator blades.
I have never had a complaint in the cut quality. In fact, I have been amazed how well the mulching kit works. Prior to buying this kit, I only knew of the one my Dad had on his John Deere riding mower. It just blocked the side discharge and clumped all the time. The Ariens OEM kit includes baffles to isolate each blade. I am not clear why it works so well, but I am happy with it.

One question - While researching this I began seeing posts about doubling up blades on each spindle for even better mulching. Does this actually work well?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In my opinion doubling up blades is a DYI guys stupid idea. What can go wrong? Can’t properly tighten blades, may come loose. Destroying the spindles. Not made for two blades. Safety, may destroy the deck or blades go flying. Don’t even give that idea another thought, you’re asking for trouble. Who ever posted that or is thinking about do it, should have a frontal lobotomy ASAP, and should loose his manhood.

bullet bob

Threads
In my opinion doubling up blades is a DYI guys stupid idea. What can go wrong? Can’t properly tighten blades, may come loose. Destroying the spindles. Not made for two blades. Safety, may destroy the deck or blades go flying. Don’t even give that idea another thought, you’re asking for trouble. Who ever posted that or is thinking about do it, should have a frontal lobotomy ASAP, and should loose his manhood.
Ahhh c'mon, how do you really feel? ;)