Are mulching blades about the same?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
In my opinion doubling up blades is a DYI guys stupid idea. What can go wrong? Can’t properly tighten blades, may come loose. Destroying the spindles. Not made for two blades. Safety, may destroy the deck or blades go flying. Don’t even give that idea another thought, you’re asking for trouble. Who ever posted that or is thinking about do it, should have a frontal lobotomy ASAP, and should loose his manhood.
Dixie Chopper has a double blade setup. The top blade is called an X blade and the bottom H blade is flat. The flat bottom H blade fits in the X portion of top blade seem to work pretty well and have never seen one come off yet.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ll agree that some mowers are designed to use a double blade, but that doesn’t mean you can add a second blade to those which are not designed with a longer threaded shaft or adapter designed for two. Honda also has two blades, but the threads are longer and they have an adapter designed for both blades, plus the second blade is much lighter.

bkeller500

Threads
it's difficult to understand how a mulching set-up actually can work properly. If you stick to the 1/3 rule and cut your grass when it's dry, would a mulched clipping decompose any quicker? How can a mulch deck be expected to lift the grass and cut it and recut it and distribute it evenly as it discharges the clippings? The same deck & blades that is supposed to lift the grass for cutting is supposed to let the grass exit by gravity as there is no discharge chute. The deck becomes over loaded or clogged and typically windrows or clumps fall out. If your grass is 6"-8" for example and you are cutting to 4" how is a mulching blade going to recut a 2"-4" clipping and drop them evenly on the turf? When I have tried to mulch in the past, I mostly ended up with a cogged deck that required scraping, thus defeating the idea of distributing the clippings and benefitting as food for the turf. I fail to see any real benefit.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most mulching setups don’t discharge the clippings, as the good ones have closed decks when mulching, so the clippings are cut multiple times before dropping straight down. Toro and Honda have the best setups, with blades that lift and decks that provide room for the clippings to be chopped into small pieces. To properly mulch you must keep your blade sharp and deck clean.

bkeller500

Threads
Most mulching setups don’t discharge the clippings, as the good ones have closed decks when mulching, so the clippings are cut multiple times before dropping straight down. Toro and Honda have the best setups, with blades that lift and decks that provide room for the clippings to be chopped into small pieces. To properly mulch you must keep your blade sharp and deck clean.
I think the issue is as you stated the blades are spinning and lifting the grass ….. how are the clippings going to drop if the blades are lifting?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What goes up must come down.
1697665242090.jpeg

bkeller500

Threads
What goes up must come down.
View attachment 67052
not arguing here.....and I know the photo shows how it's marketed to us.......in reality it has to overcome blades that lift and cut, grass volume, an enclosed deck speed, gravity, blow out and moisture. I'm all in if it would work every time.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For the last thirty years, since I move into a new house in 1993, I’ve had the same Toro tractor and two Toro Super Recycler mowers. These mowers have all been setup for mulching since day one and do a great job. Two things will cause me problems, but it is my own fault and nothing works 100% of the time. Having to cut when the grass is wet and cutting the grass when it is too long. Sometimes you have to do just that and you live with it for a week. I’ve sold the Super Recycler mowers to two neighbors and at least 2 dozen relatives or personal friends. Not one of them has been displeased with their purchase and one neighbor even got his brother-in-law to purchase one also. Everyone mulches or bags in the fall. Only thing that you must do is keep the underside of the deck clean and blade sharp.