Are mulching blades about the same?

stevestd

Threads
Mulching decks are well suited for residential use as they don’t have a dangerous side discharge, they leave a clean finish, and there are no clippings to dispose of. Mulching is also completely different to side discharge which also requires an adjustment to mowing technique. Speed is usually slower and cut length longer. Other factors to consider are the type of grass, length of grass, and moisture content. I have used about six different blade types for my Toro Z300 (with dedicated mulching deck) which are summarized below.

Low lift gator blades (Toro) - Not good for general use as they leave clumps of grass. I use these to slash long grass when finish is not an issue, and when the grass is long and/or wet grass. Several passes may be required to leave a clean finish.

Medium lift blades (standard) (Toro & others) are best overall. There are only slight differences between the brands and types. The blade I prefer is for another mower.

High lift (Oregon) gator blades give the best finish when the grass is relatively short as they tend to vacuum and pulverize all the small extraneous matter on the lawn. These blades are less effective on long grass and/or wet grass as the engine can bog down and clog the deck. Although usually great blades, they are not suitable for long and/or wet grass.

My response to your question is “horses for courses”. I also suggest changing the blades subject to the mowing conditions.

motomike

Threads
To do the best job of mulching you have to slow down.
Like Dr. Breen told the congregation in Mayberry:

"Slow down!.....Take it easy!.........WHAT'S your hurry!"