83 lawn chief 8/30 tranny help

bobski

Threads
to the guy that asked me to try mower graveyard in penn.....
dry well. thanks anyway.:frown:

benski

Threads
Crumb X 2. Someone out there probably has 3 or 4 that are languishing on a shelf...:frown:

bobski

Threads
connected with a guy in richmond va and he found a brand new one at the peerless factory in indiana. its on its way. lets hope its the right one. 179.00 new.:thumbsup:

benski

Threads
connected with a guy in richmond va and he found a brand new one at the peerless factory in indiana. its on its way. lets hope its the right one. 179.00 new.:thumbsup:

Let's hope so too!:biggrin::thumbsup:

bobski

Threads
ok, i got in the new unit from rbi in richmond va. it all looks the same as mine except part 67. on mine, part 67's axle tips stick out the side of the casing. granted, they dont seem to be doing anything...but it is different. the new one has the axle holes closed up with casing metal...like it was an improvement over time.
question is....is there a hidden reason why mine has axles sticking out on both ends and this new one doesnt?
does anyone have a diagram of mine that i can compare it to or know why they changed it? i mean im real close to being satisfied. heck, i mean save for that, its brand spanking new.:thumbsup:
see pic and 2 pointers for differences.

100-0009_IMG-1.jpg

flyerdan

Threads
I'm going to guess that since the shafts dead end into bearings (or bushings, in this case) they did it to eliminate the gear oil seepage since there doesn't seem to be any seal listed in the parts breakdown.
Kind of odd since from a manufacturing standpoint it would be a lot easier to just punch out the bore rather than leaving that little bit intact.

bobski

Threads
well i got the bessing from rbi stating it was just a cosmetic upgrade. thus, im in business. i will put it in next week. in the future, if anyone ever needs parts for old murray's, click the small link below for pros who know their business!
thanks to all, and i'll let you know how it works once its in.

RBI

:thumbsup:

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Concur that it is most likely a design improvement

bobski

Threads
well, got it in today. 5 months to fix. wow. i have a mower just in time too. grass got 12" high. nailed it today. what an ordeal its been. and as it was, the tranny works fine but isnt exactly the same. but you know what? i can live with it. the gear pattern is the same, 5 forward/1 reverse. but the shifter guide off my old one doesnt match the pattern. on mine, you go back to a space and lift up and continue for reverse. the new tranny has shorter throws. meaning when you go all the way back to that cavity in the guide for neutral, youre already in reverse. im sure its a simple task of finding a guide to match the p/n to the new tranny. but its really just a matter of retraining the operator. its much cheaper and im just plain lucky to have found a new tranny to a 30 year old mower. THANK YOU RBI. and thanks again to all!

i will be posting a thread on how to tighten the rear axle thats loose and drooping. i went to service the rear right wheel, and i just pulled the axle out 1/2 way with the tire still attached! i quickly put it back in to mow the yard! anyone know off hand about those issues?