83 lawn chief 8/30 tranny help

bobski

Threads
please link me to the ebay auction. ive been looking but im probably not using the right words to pull it up.
so...this is encouraging. sounds like the bottom just comes off and the guts stay in the top half? is that what im hearing?

flyerdan

Threads
Previous link should have worked...link>>>peerless 700 on eBay<<<link.

Not sure if you could cheat that way, it looks like the input shaft comes from the bottom. Download this transaxle repair manual and follow the steps in the 700 series section. Big book, covers most all stuff you'd find in lawn mowers.

benski

Threads
The Peerless 700 is a very common, rather bulletproof tranny used A LOT in lawnmower racing. The folks over at heymow.com - Lawn Mower Racing Forum - Index have a wealth of information on identification of, repairs, and sales of rebuilt units, both stock and modifies for racing. I had no idea that there's an entire industry associated with mower racing, but obviously there is!:cool::smile:

bobski

Threads
id bet my wife on it...this is it.
Tecumseh Lawnmower Transmission 5 Speed Forward/1 Reverse Peerless 9 To_ 700-078 | eBay
its nos and full retail for a new one. heck 155.00 new isnt bad when faced with a 2000.00 chinease new mower today.
my only concern is why so many gear differences? i count 100 different p/n's and of course, i dont know if i put this in, if im going to get a ticket for going 60mph!:laughing:
i called the store and left a msg. they are checking mounting holes to ensure this will drop in my bed ok.
everything external looks exactly right. it may be worth it to just get a whole one and not spend the week rebuilding it....and just keep the old one for parts.

i mean afterall, this thing will probably go another 20 years.:thumbsup:

thanks thus far for all your help guys. i'll check that racing www. and see what they say.

benski

Threads
id bet my wife on it...this is it.
Tecumseh Lawnmower Transmission 5 Speed Forward/1 Reverse Peerless 9 To_ 700-078 | eBay
its nos and full retail for a new one. heck 155.00 new isnt bad when faced with a 2000.00 chinease new mower today.
my only concern is why so many gear differences? i count 100 different p/n's and of course, i dont know if i put this in, if im going to get a ticket for going 60mph!:laughing:
i called the store and left a msg. they are checking mounting holes to ensure this will drop in my bed ok.
everything external looks exactly right. it may be worth it to just get a whole one and not spend the week rebuilding it....and just keep the old one for parts.

i mean afterall, this thing will probably go another 20 years.:thumbsup:

thanks thus far for all your help guys. i'll check that racing www. and see what they say.
Heck, by the time you canoodle around with other options, I'd say $155.00 plus shipping isn't too bad. You certainly can't find a decent used mower for that kind of money...:thumbsup: And, you don't know for sure if any little bits of teeth, shafts, or whatnot may not have been uh, liberated when your original tranny went into retirement.:eek:

bobski

Threads
youre right.
so as it stands now...its the wait game. gotta hear back from the dealer on bolt spacing and then no more excuses for not cutting grass. pics to follow of the mayham.:laughing:

benski

Threads
Mayhem is served routinely at my residence too!:biggrin:

bobski

Threads
so far im striking out. i called all the ebay dealers and none have exactly what i need. mine seems to be an early one.
still no luck.
if anyone has any new leads, lmk!

bobski

Threads
using links on the racing website, ive made contact with a co. that is looking into it. ive called 2 co.'s on ebay and they struck out.
i aint finished yet!
one co. asked me for the number off the transaxle....to help them figure out which tranny i have. now see? thats what i like, some co's try to help! where would the transaxle number be? my rig is a chain drive sproket welded to an axle.

heres some pics of the damaged tranny....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/bobski/100-0040_IMG-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/bobski/100-0041_IMG-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/bobski/100-0043_IMG-1.jpg