83 lawn chief 8/30 tranny help

benski

Threads
using links on the racing website, ive made contact with a co. that is looking into it. ive called 2 co.'s on ebay and they struck out.
i aint finished yet!
one co. asked me for the number off the transaxle....to help them figure out which tranny i have. now see? thats what i like, some co's try to help! where would the transaxle number be? my rig is a chain drive sproket welded to an axle.

heres some pics of the damaged tranny....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/bobski/100-0040_IMG-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/bobski/100-0041_IMG-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/bobski/100-0043_IMG-1.jpg
That same site has an entire 15?! page dissertation on those trannies. I think you'll find the no. under a tab on the tranny. Look through a little more, I'm sure they've got it.:thumbsup:

bobski

Threads
under the tranny? only thing under the tranny is the chassis. do you mean ON the tranny underneath? there WAS an i.d. tab pressed into a cavity originally, but it fell out. thus the problem, there is no way to i.d. it.

benski

Threads
under the tranny? only thing under the tranny is the chassis. do you mean ON the tranny underneath? there WAS an i.d. tab pressed into a cavity originally, but it fell out. thus the problem, there is no way to i.d. it.

:frown:. Crumb. That's exactly what I was referring to. About the only thing I can think of is a photo(s) and perhaps a drawing sent offf to the gurus there. Maybe they can come up with something that'll fit.

bobski

Threads
pics were sent to everyone and if there is someone who will know, its just a matter of time.

bobski

Threads
got in touch with a tecumseh factory rep in richmond va and he sent me the pn and diagram he believed was to my mower he based it on the pics of the mower and serial numbers etc...
he used the same 100 page book that you all suggested to me to download. only he pin pointed it.

so, it would appear, that this is the tranny i need.
700-756A peerless

now who has one?! can you guys help dig around the net with me?
leaves are starting to pile up!

i cant post the zip diagram here. email me for a copy.

benski

Threads
got in touch with a tecumseh factory rep in richmond va and he sent me the pn and diagram he believed was to my mower he based it on the pics of the mower and serial numbers etc...
he used the same 100 page book that you all suggested to me to download. only he pin pointed it.

so, it would appear, that this is the tranny i need.
700-756A peerless

now who has one?! can you guys help dig around the net with me?
leaves are starting to pile up!

i cant post the zip diagram here. email me for a copy.
According to an apparently reliable source, any peerless 700 that is set up similar to yours as far as splines and shaft location will plug in. The steel gear units are the most desireable for durability. Tons of stuff for sale and acres of information at heymow.com - Lawn Mower Racing Forum - Index

bobski

Threads
heymow.com racing forum is where i got the leads to call the rep in richmond.

i have richmond ordering the 756 right now. next will be to see if it works and isnt some chinese knock off.

it would appear as time went by, the peerless trannys got cheaper. so hopefully this old number is to an old tranny that is oem/nos.

though the trannys may be drop in same, the sprokets and brakes arent . some take spline some take slip on with key. unless one buys the matching gears and brake, i wont be able to swap sprokets. id have to order sprokets and brake as well. and they are what no one has. they are hens teeth worse than the tranny itself.

benski

Threads
heymow.com racing forum is where i got the leads to call the rep in richmond.

i have richmond ordering the 756 right now. next will be to see if it works and isnt some chinese knock off.

it would appear as time went by, the peerless trannys got cheaper. so hopefully this old number is to an old tranny that is oem/nos.

though the trannys may be drop in same, the sprokets and brakes arent . some take spline some take slip on with key. unless one buys the matching gears and brake, i wont be able to swap sprokets. id have to order sprokets and brake as well. and they are what no one has. they are hens teeth worse than the tranny itself.
Man, what an education!:eek: I'm glad you've got the patience for it, because I sure don't.:ashamed: Can you highgrade any old parts for the new tranny from your old one?

bobski

Threads
if the new tranny is oem/nos, i wont have to. it will all be steel gears and correct splines. the old one will become spare parts.

benski

Threads
if the new tranny is oem/nos, i wont have to. it will all be steel gears and correct splines. the old one will become spare parts.
Cool!:thumbsup: Best of luck!:biggrin: