247.203744 won't start

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes you can. It was just some advice for later on getting the solenoids. The solenoid was only mention as you asked why the engine still shutdown with the kill wire disconnected.

As said by others you a grounding issue somewhere in the wiring.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure how good your chops are on electrical troubleshooting but i use this tool for probably 99% of troubleshooting on mowers. Tells you if you have positive voltage or ground. Does AC and DC and resistance.

For equipment without a battery i use a Fluke 85V multimeter. A test light is good for a few things but not some things. You either have the kill circuit shorted to ground somewhere or more likely a bad interlock switch somewhere. Schematic would make it easier but without one you can work back through the kill circuit. Does mower have the feature that it kills the engine if you have deck engaged when try to mow in reverse unless you push a button? That uses 2 switches in part of the kill circuit. Hook an ohmmeter to the coil kill wire and ground and disconnect switches till you loose continuity. At least get you in the ballpark.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
PT is working on a 2015 MTD 13AL78XT099 (247.203744) (T1600) and MTD don't usually provide wiring schematics which in my opinion they should do so back tracing and experience is all he will have available.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure how good your chops are on electrical troubleshooting but i use this tool for probably 99% of troubleshooting on mowers. Tells you if you have positive voltage or ground. Does AC and DC and resistance.

For equipment without a battery i use a Fluke 85V multimeter. A test light is good for a few things but not some things. You either have the kill circuit shorted to ground somewhere or more likely a bad interlock switch somewhere. Schematic would make it easier but without one you can work back through the kill circuit. Does mower have the feature that it kills the engine if you have deck engaged when try to mow in reverse unless you push a button? That uses 2 switches in part of the kill circuit. Hook an ohmmeter to the coil kill wire and ground and disconnect switches till you loose continuity. At least get you in the ballpark.

WOO HOO.. More tools. Thanks man.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
PT is working on a 2015 MTD 13AL78XT099 (247.203744) (T1600) and MTD don't usually provide wiring schematics which in my opinion they should do so back tracing and experience is all he will have available.

If at least for the wire color changes.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know it is thanks giving but no reason for the brain to have a holiday
You are looking for ground on the wire not voltage.
If there was any voltage then the chip would be fried as well you know
So it is hook the test light to the + on the battery then go looking for a ground connection at each plug with the switches all disconnected
A faulty key switch could have a ground connection to the kill wire all the time.
And don't overlook the engine to mower plug

If I'm looking for a short, could I also hook up the test light to the - battery, and check the ground connections (orange, black, blue and IIRC white)?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I'm looking for a short, could I also hook up the test light to the - battery, and check the ground connections (orange, black, blue and IIRC white)?
If you are set on using a 12v test light connect it to batt+ and the kill wire at the coil. If circuit is grounded light will be on. When you unground the circuit the light will go off.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I would be careful with the coil connected as Briggs does not protected them from reverse voltage application. The amount voltage applied will depend on the tester. It don't take much of reverse current flow to destroy the coils electronics. I have seen a little +1.5 vdc across the coil to mess them up. The resistance of probe and coil's resistance setup a voltage divider network.

It is best to disconnect the kill wire at the coil during the testing using the fore metioned method.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you are set on using a 12v test light connect it to batt+ and the kill wire at the coil. If circuit is grounded light will be on. When you unground the circuit the light will go off.

I can use either/or. Makes no difference.

I can "unground" the circuit just by turning the key on, right? If so, I just did that very thing, and the light stayed on with the switch on both on and off.

Key switch tested good M to G had continuity only when switch was off. B to S only when in start position.